The York-Juba Anthology 2014

The York-Juba anthology will be returning for its third year with the theme of ‘Future’

969361_712195002123906_2041120339_n (2)

The York-Juba Anthology will be offering York students the opportunity to share their experiments with creative writing in collaboration with the University of Juba. The summer of 2014 will see in the anthology’s third edition, with the theme of ‘Future’, as the successor to the previous ‘Change’ and ‘Achievement’ editions.

Submissions for the anthology are open now, and will be published next year. This will give writers the chance to try their hand at anything from prose to plays to poetry, so long as the pieces are loosely modeled on the theme of ‘Future’.

The compilation will be sure to be an interesting and eclectic mix of writings that cross cultural boundaries, as York and Juba submissions will be laid alongside one another. The University of Juba only restarted two years ago having been relocated to Khartoum in Sudan’s second civil war. In 2011 South Sudan gained its independence, allowing the city of Juba to become the world’s newest capital.

The anthology will be significant in more ways than one, due to the sheer diversity of its contributors and their backgrounds. It will provide students with an apolitical platform that can be therapeutic for those who choose to voice their past traumas. Importantly, the collection is open to many forms of creative expression, with past submissions ranging from popular culture, to football, to experiences in the civil war.

With the university entering its 50th year, now is the time for York’s creative writers to look to the future and to show off their own voice among a vibrant collection of stories.