Films to watch out for this winter

This winter is a diverse time for cinema. From big budget fantasy adventure to biographical drama, the upcoming weeks promise to be a treat. takes us through this season’s must-see hits

Hobbit Still

With winter there comes dark nights, cold days and gloomy weather. One answer to this problem comes in the form of the local cinema which has a selection of early Christmas treats coming to its screen this year. With Oscar contenders, worthy sequels and drama, this winter is full of big hits worth going to see.

Gravity
Release Date: 8th November
Arguably Hollywood’s two greatest stars, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, star in Alfonso Cuarón’s space thriller. The trailer begins with facts about what happens at 372 miles above the earth before telling us that ‘life in space is impossible.’ The basic plot revolves around the two main stars as astronauts who are sent on a mission to repair the Hubble Telescope. Judging by the trailer nothing goes right for these two as you see Bullock floating in space, the sheer terror on her face enough to bring goose bumps to the skin, and that is just from the trailer. With critics already giving the film warm praise, especially for the performances of Bullock and Clooney, Gravity is set to be one of this year’s best received films.

The Counselor
Release Date: 15th November
Ridley Scott returns to directing with this American thriller which boasts an all star cast including Michael Fassbender, Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem and Brad Pitt. Michael Fassbender plays ‘The Counselor’, a man who finds himself in deep waters when he decides to become involved with drug trafficking. The trailer shows a lavish lifestyle, a fine cast and a promise of destruction: everything that should be included in a good movie.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Release Date: 21st November
Jennifer Lawrence reprises her role from the first Hunger Games film as the fiery Katniss Everdeen who returns home after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow contestant Peeta Malerk. The first Hunger Games was a worldwide hit, launching Jennifer Lawrence into her position as an A list celebrity in Hollywood. With rebellion from all the districts on the cards and the looming event of another Hunger Games, the sequel appears as though it could be darker and much more dramatic than its predecessor.

Saving Mr Banks
Release Date: 29th November
Saving Mr Banks has already been tipped for Oscar glory as the film focuses on Walt Disney and his battle over the movie rights to PL Travers’ book, Mary Poppins. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson star as Walt Disney and PL Travers. The trailer shows Disney’s struggle to gain the film rights for Mary Poppins as both of them lock horns over how the film should be staged. With early reception giving praise to both Thompson and Hanks, Saving Mr Banks promises to be another fine film by Walt Disney Studios.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Release Date: 13th December
After shaky reviews for the prequel: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the sequel is expected to surpass its predecessor. The Desolation of Smaug picks up where the previous film left off; with Bilbo on his quest to help the dwarves recover their gold from the dragon, Smaug. Of course Bilbo now has the One Ring to rule them all and but what he does with the ring remains to be seen. The trailer also shows the return of Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and the addition of Smaug (Benedict Cumberbatch), both big names to add to the cast of Peter Jackson’s epic trilogy. If the trailer is anything to go by then this film promises some form of love interest, special effects galore, and enough action to make the nearest Orc consider their role in the fight on Middle Earth.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
Release Date: 20th December
With the first Anchorman film being such a global hit, the legend certainly does continue in the long awaited sequel. The boys hit the screen again with the idea for a 24 hour news channel in order to gain ‘the glory they once knew’ all those nine years ago. Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) returns with Brick (Steve Carell) and Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd). Hilarity is assured, along with big name cameos from the likes of Kanye West and Harrison Ford. With the addition of James Marsden as Burgundy’s news nemesis and Kristen Wiig as Brick’s love interest, The Legend Continues should be even bigger and better than the first film.

1. Blue is the Warmest Colour?