Suspect arrested in student burglaries investigation

Students are being urged to secure their accommodation after it is found that the burglar entered the properties through unlocked doors

Ian Britton

Ian Britton

Police have arrested a 37 year old man in connection with four burglaries at off-campus student accommodation in York.

Hundreds of pounds worth of gadgets were stolen from properties on Wolsley Street, Willis Street, St Nicholas Crescent and Merchant Way on Sunday 27th October.

A man was arrested and questioned at 8:20pm the next day and was later released on conditional police bail. Police are urging people with any information about suspicious activity in the area to come forward as soon as possible.

Entry was gained to the properties through unlocked doors during the early hours of the morning and evening. In a warning to students, Inspector Jo Brooksbank of the York Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “It is vital that the students themselves take responsibility for securing their accommodation and possessions at all times.

“Even just taking some simple steps such as locking doors, closing windows and keeping expensive equipment out of sight, will go a long way to keep opportunistic criminals away.”

George Offer, Welfare Officer, also commented: “I’m really glad to hear that someone’s been charged with these burglaries, but remain concerned about the ease with which he gained access to our students’ homes.

“Keep your doors locked and if you’ve lost your key, get a new one. Remember, most insurers won’t protect your goods if your house wasn’t properly secured, so if a burglar walks in and takes something, it’s gone.”

Despite the recent crimes York City Council’s mid-term review states that “York is still one of the safest cities in which to live, with overall crime figures predicted to reduce again, by five per cent on last year.”

The review goes on to say that “the council is adopting a stronger early intervention and prevention approach across services to ensure intelligence is more widely shared and early action taken.”

1. 12 Nov ’13 at 12:32 pm

hang_them_all

Stealing from honest hardworking students, what a tool. Should be taken to the gallows without trial.

2. My uni room got broken into (3 days after arriving in York, no less) in October. Yes – “It is vital that the students themselves take responsibility for securing their accommodation and possessions at all times.” but some little fuckers will break down the door anyway – whether or not your door is locked.