Northumbria edge second futsal clash

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3-6 NORTHUMRBIA UNIVERSITY
BUCS Premier Northern

Photo: Petroc Taylor.

Photo: Petroc Taylor.

York fell to 6-3 defeat at the hands of Northumbria in their second futsal match of the day.

Having come from behind to beat Leeds Met 4-3 in the opening fixture this morning, the Black and Gold went in to the match high on confidence.

And with that result and outstanding second half display fresh in their minds, York started brightly and took the lead after five minutes through Guy Bowden.

However, in what was a frenetic opening period that was nowhere near as cagey as the earlier game, Northumbria hit back strongly. Two goals in 60 seconds turned the match on it’s head midway through the half.

York captain Connor McCoy put his side back on level terms almost immediately, his second goal of the day, but the hosts couldn’t hold out until half-time.

Three minutes before the break, Northumbria led once more, leaving York facing an uphill task once again.

The Black and Gold had already overturned a half-time deficit to win once, and it looked as though they might just do it again with a blistering start to the second half.

Straight from kick-off, Mahiko Konishi found Bowden and he finished off a delightful move with a tidy finish into the corner.

Unlike Leeds earlier in the day, Northumbria didn’t allow York to build any momentum. In an instant, they were up the other end and bundling the ball past Sim to make it 3-4.

The visitors continued on the front foot, testing Sim from all angles and allowing York no time or space on the ball.

It came as little surprise when Northumbria added a fifth, stealing possession in the middle of the court and passing their way around the goalkeeper.

A timeout was called for from the home side, and they did come back out with greater intent. A couple of top-quality saves from the talismanic Sim kept Northumbria within touching distance, and set the stage for a spell of York domination.

For the remainder of the half, the hosts bombarded the Northumbria goal. McCoy and Bowden were both frequently off-target with some long-range strikes, but when the clearer openings came York found themselves undone by a visiting keeper in fine form.

Having adopted a shoot-on-sight policy, Bowden saw a thunderous effort tipped acrobatically over the bar, with Briars also denied.

For all their endeavour, though, York had no luck and were hit on the counter attack. A long throw out from the keeper was header expertly beyond Sim to make it 3-6 and seal the win for Northumbria.

Afterwards, McCoy was left to rue missed opportunities as York slipped to a rare BUCS defeat: “Overall we weren’t that bad, it was quite a decent game. But there were four or five silly mistakes in there that have cost us, unfortunately.” His teammate Bowden added: “When they scored four, we knew we had to score five to win. It’s as simple as that.”