New-look futsal team get perfect start

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 4-3 LEEDS MET CARNEGIE
BUCS Premier Northern

York’s futsal team made the ideal start to their BUCS season, with a 4-3 win over Leeds Met this morning.

In the first of their three matches today, York came from behind to seal the three points with goals from Connor McCoy, Guy Bowden, James Briars, and Mahiko Konishi.

An unfamiliar Black and Gold squad took the court faced with the unenviable task of emulating the most successful side in the University’s history. With the likes of Tom Day, Ash Daly, and Dom Hallas gone from the side that reached the European Championships this summer, and Alex Tringham unavailable, there were plenty of fresh faces on show for the hosts.

And as a somewhat unfamiliar York side were still finding their feet, Leeds Met took an early lead. After two minutes, a quickly taken free kick caught out Jonny Sim in the York goal as he was beating by a driven effort.

Everything promising about York’s early play went through the skipper, McCoy, who tried his luck with a string of long-range efforts, the best of which came crashing back out off the inside of the post.

The visitors looked far more comfortable in possession though, and with York not pressing with the high intensity that was such a feature of their game last year, Sim was forced into a couple of smart saves to keep the score at 0-1.

Briars came off the bench to give York some greater potency in attack, but they soon found themselves two goals down. A long throw downfield from the Leeds keeper was volleyed expertly into the net from five yards out to give Sim no chance this time.

The home side refused to lie down, however. Just a minute later McCoy pulled a vital goal back, striking his shot through a crowd of bodies and the keeper’s legs to give York a crucial foothold going into half time.

After the break, York looked a completely different side. The conviction and intensity that had deserted them in the opening minutes was now back and they gained a thoroughly deserved equaliser through Bowden, who hammered a shot into the top corner after Rob Walters saw his effort blocked.

Leeds Met hit back quickly, however, an attacker dancing his way through the York defence and sliding the ball beneath the sprawling Sim to retake the lead.

York had it all to do again, as the tempo began to reach frantic levels. McCoy and Briars were each denied twice by an inspired Leeds keeper, but the latter would soon draw York level once more. Bowden struck a shot from the halfway line and Briars was on hand to steer the ball neatly into the corner.

Momentum was very much with York now and shortly after they had what proved to be the winning goal. Shin Murata dinked in a cross from the left, and Konishi rose to meet it with a glancing header that nestled into the top corner of the net.

It could have been 5-3 before the end, Bowden seeing a goal disallowed for handball and getting himself into trouble with the referee for his protests.

The White Rose held on, though, as they continued to control possession in the closing stages, leaving McCoy a very satisfied man at the full time whistle. He told Nouse, “The first half wasn’t great, but we came out so much better in the second. This is most of these boys’ first ever game of futsal so it was an ideal result against a strong team.”

York will now be looking to repeat their second half performance this afternoon, as they face Northumbria and Manchester (kick offs 1.30pm and 4.30pm respectively).

York squad: Sim, Muramatsu, McCoy (C), Bowden, Briars, Walters, Murata, Howorth, Arnason, Konishi.