Futsal finish day with Manchester annihilation

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 12-2 MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY
BUCS Premier Northern

Photo: Petroc Taylor.

Photo: Petroc Taylor.

A day that began with a hard-earned win over Leeds Met ended with a ruthless destruction of Manchester, as York ran out 12-2 winners in their final fixture.

The Black and Gold hit 10 goals in a one-sided first half against a Manchester outfit who had already been beaten 7-0 and 7-3 earlier in the day.

Captain Connor McCoy and the returning Alex Tringham both bagged four, James Briars netted a brace, with Alli Arnarson and Rob Walters also on target for the hosts.

Having lost their second match 6-3 at the hands of Northumbria, York were clearly determined to go out on a high – and that they did. Emphatically.

The tone of the match was set in the first minutes, Tringham, who had missed the two earlier games, breaking down the right hand touchline and cutting inside to slot his first goal of the day into the corner.

He and Briars each tested the Manchester keeper twice in the following passage of play, before Briars hit the net twice in quick succession to put York in a commanding position.

Manchester looked utterly shellshocked by the constant Black and Gold barrage, and Tringham soon scored his second for 4-0.

When McCoy found Arnason for a tap-in, the game was virtually sealed – even with less than 10 minutes on the clock.

Not forgetting their defensive duties, Tringham and Briars both cleared off the line, before normal service resumed at the other end.

McCoy intercepted a loose pass and drove a fierce shot that the goalkeeper could only cushion into the net.

A York goal seemed almost inevitable with each attack, and there was plenty of time before the break.

Two near identical moves provided McCoy with his second and third goals of the match. First he deftly flicked Shin Murata’s chipped pass beyond the keeper’s reach, before collecting a similar ball from Mark Howorth to hammer one into the top corner.

Manchester did get what can barely be called a consolation goal before half-time, but two more goals from the home side reminded them who was very much in charge.

Tringham completed his hat-trick with a trademark left-footed drive, before Walters got in on the act to send York in 10-1 up at half time.

With the game effectively won, York sent on reserve goalkeeper Hiro Muramatsu in place of Jonny Sim (who had almost scored in the first half!), and Manchester soon notched their second goal of the game.

Muramatsu made a few impressive saves to keep the visitors at bay, but in truth most of the second half was taken up with York keeping possession and toying with their opponents.

McCoy lashed in his fourth of the match to make it 11-2, and it was left to Tringham to complete the scoring. A scramble involving Walters and the Manchester keeper saw the ball break Tringham’s way, and, despite being on the floor, the York man managed to swivel and slot in his side’s twelfth.

The standard of passing and movement that York showed throughout the game was on another level to anything Manchester could offer, and the Black and Gold could have easily added to their tally if they had wanted to.

But with the formalities of the second half complete, McCoy reflected on a perfect end to the day: “We completely annihilated them in the first half. Second half we sat on it and maybe were a bit sloppy, but it’s a very good way to end the day.” On Tringham’s return to the side, McCoy added, “He helps, doesn’t he? He’s still a bit of a loose cannon, going way up the pitch when he’s meant to be defending, but overall I’m very happy with the day.”

York are next in BUCS action in a month’s time, travelling to Northumbria for their second round of fixtures, but two wins from their opening three games represents a solid start to the season for a new-look UYFC.

York squad: Sim, Muramatsu, McCoy (C), Bowden, Briars, Walters, Murata, Howorth, Arnarson, Elliot, Konishi, Tringham.