Men’s firsts overpowered by impressive Leeds

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1 – 3 LEEDS UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern 2B

Images: Petroc Taylor

Despite winning the opening set, York’s volleyball men’s firsts crashed out to an impressive Leeds firsts side, whose sheer power allowed them to eventually shrug aside the home team.

Leeds’ huge power in their serving and set play was eminent from the start and York were initially slow to react. However, some very effective piking at the net by Sven Sabas kept York on the straight and narrow as they built up an 8-4 lead, forcing Leeds to call an early time-out.

Unfortunately for the visitors, their time-out was to no avail as York continued to build on their lead, mainly through the work of Sabas at the net and from smashes from the left side of the court by Luke Guillermo.

York steadily built up a to 21-14 lead but, in a bid to slow the gathering momentum of Leeds, captain Kai Chan called for a time-out. This, however, allowed Leeds to regroup and begin to string together points as York began to make too many unforced errors.

Nevertheless, York’s determination shone through and they eventually saw out the first set 25-20 when Leeds missed what became the final serve of the set.

Leeds were now looking for a way back into the game and both sides were almost inseparable in the opening few points as errors crept into Leeds’ service game.

However, York’s luck at the net began to fade as the set went on and well-placed smashes from Leeds, as well as an improved serving game, meant they notched up a 14-8 lead.

When Leeds’ 18-11 lead was reduced to a 18-14 courtesy of a neatly-placed Anton Gospondinov smash, York were hopeful of a resurgence. But York were still not finding any luck at the net and 21-14 to the visitors soon became 24-17 through a corker of a cross-court smash from the opposition. Leeds claimed the set through an unfortunate foot fault from Joel Klassen.

The home side started the third set brightly, developing a 5-2 lead as Leeds sent too many shots long and outside of the court. Sabas was, once again, impressive at the net and an ace from Ryan Gray put the score at 10-4.

But the tables then began to turn as York then began to struggle to keep their shots within the court and the visitors crept the score back to 11-11, which quickly became 16-11 in their favour.

Chan called for a time-out in a bid to settle some nerves, but once more it was to no avail. Leeds went on build up a 20-13 lead as York struggled to defend the huge power of the Leeds smashes. York held off two set points at 24-16 but the third set was eventually handed to visitors when Gospondinov’s shot went wide of the court. Overall, Leeds now led 2-1.

The opening half of the fourth set played out similarly to the second set, where both teams were almost inseparable up until 19-17 to Leeds. With a win in their sights, the away side turned up the heat despite gallant efforts at the net by Sabas and Klassen.

Leeds’ cross-court smash came into play once more and, showing true credit to their exemplary service game throughout the match, Leeds took the match point courtesy of an ace at 25-17.

After the match, team captain Kai Chan assessed the serving of both sides: “I think the weakest point in our team is our service receipt… the Leeds team have really good servers, so it was their strongest part versus our weakest point. But we had a really good energy”.

York squad: Sabas, K Chan (C), Kelly, Krzyszycha, Gray, Guillermo, Gospondinov, B Chan, Klassen

1. I’m still decompressing from the Austin Film fseaivtl the beer is basically free there and who am I to say no? POP ART is outstanding! Not to blow smoke up Joe’s ass, but the story is better but aren’t they always?The film screened last in the shorts program it was nestled into and really brought the house down. Ms. Boyle is a terrific filmmaker and she really made the film much *funnier* than the short story. She had to considering the subject matter. I mean, it’s an inflatable kid for Pete’s sake. But there were several subtle touches like the sound of Art’s pencil on his pad that were really quirky and fun. She also shot some great sequences involving Art getting bullied as well as bonding with Toby. Just very solid filmmaking.Also (and I may be totally wrong here) I noted she made Toby the main character and we learn much more about him. It’s been a while since I’ve read the story and I have the book packed away so I can’t look, but my memory was telling me the story was mostly from Art’s P.O.V. This film is very much about Toby.One criticism I had was the ending. The film chugs along so perfectly and the emotional arc never really reaches it’s apex onscreen and before you know it .balloons. I’m not just saying that because the short story is so touching. But I sensed the audience didn’t get how moving the ending is. But still, terrific film and I can’t wait to see what you all think when you see it. And I really, truly believe it could win some awards and nominations including a bald gold statue from the U.S. if you know what I mean .Great job Amanda and Joe!