Swimmers off to promising start

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

The University of York Swimming and Water Polo Club opened the season with a friendly gala at the York Sport Village on Saturday evening.

The home side welcomed university swimming teams from Leeds Metropolitan, Liverpool, Manchester, MMU and Sheffield Hallam, as well as a local team from Tadcaster. This was the first friendly gala hosted by UYWSC but it is set to become a regular fixture in the calendar after a successful weekend.

The gala was also a great way to integrate the club’s new members with BUCS approaching. The Swimming team finished a very close fourth with 132 points, and the Water Polo team seventh overall, a promising result for the year ahead. In the Swimming competition, Manchester finished third, whilst Sheffield Hallam took top place with 156 points

The continued strength of the squad was echoed by Bill Timpany, the men’s swimming captain. “Although we lost some of our top level swimmers who graduated last year, the fantastic swimmers who have arrived at UYSWC this year mean that the season is full of promise,” he said. “the team hope to maintain our strong performance at BUCS last year and of course winning Roses once again remains very much on the agenda.”

The team will be confident ahead of the BUCS regionals, taking place on the 24th November.