University provides £400,000 to improve VLE and internships

The Senior Management Group has approved the allocation of an additional £400,000 to projects dedicated to enhancing the student experience. Such ventures include an upgrade of the VLE in addition to expanding the digital recording of lectures.

Two years ago, the University spent £100,000 developing the use of recording of lectures.

Some of these projects are aimed at improving employment opportunities for students. This includes the continuation of the University’s programme of paid winter internships for recent graduates. The University also intends to use such funding to attract more FTSE 100 and 250 companies.

Nouse reported earlier this term that York was fifth worst in the Russell Group for employment prospects. The University ranked 29th out of 121 institutions for employability according to the Times Good University Guide.

David Garner, University Press Officer, told Nouse that these changes will mean “that our students have the widest possible choice of employment post-University”.

The money will also be used by the IT Services team to develop a new app, which Garner said “will allow us to communicate more effectively with students using tablets and mobile phones”.

George Offer, YUSU Welfare Officer, although delighted with the increase in funding, expressed a concern that student opinion had not been taken into account: “It’s great to see the senior management actively trying to improve the student experience, but they really need engage with students about what they want so that 400k goes into projects students really value not just what some think the student experience should be about”

David Duncan, the Unviersity’s Registrar said: “I am very pleased that the Senior Management Group has approved an additional allocation of £400k to support various projects which are designed to enhance the student experience.

These include the continuation of the University’s very successful programme of paid winter internships for recent graduates, expansion of the digital recording of lectures infrastructure, and additional investment in learning enhancement and the Virtual Learning Environment.”

The University are also planning to expand the telethon, through which our alumni community contribute funds to support students clubs and societies as well as sporting activities.

“We aim to build on recent successes in attracting major companies to careers fairs by targeting other FTSE 100 and 250 companies, so that our students have the widest possible choice of employment post-University. Finally our IT Services team have plans to develop an app, which will allow us to communicate more effectively.”

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, said: “Obviously any investment into making students lives better, and making students better, is to be celebrated.”