Video: Who says you have to study it to make it?

Student art group ‘In-between Collective’ talk to about their upcoming exhibition and why for them, art is more than just a hobby

In between

When we talk about York, some of the things that instinctively spring to mind are the Minster, Guy Fawkes, and the plethora of pubs – practically every other building is, will be, or used to be a pub. The term ‘Artist hot-bed’ isn’t as readily applicable as it is to some of our larger Northern neighbours, Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle. But this fact has by no means stopped York’s residents from maximising their artistic output and being inspired by their surroundings. In-between Collective is one such innovative group of artists, comprising of four third-year students at our very own Uni of York, who have been making artwork on the side of their degrees and have recently banded together in artistic solidarity. From 22nd November they will be decking the walls of Bison Coffee with their artwork. We caught up with the guys in the run-up to the show to discuss everything from the meaning behind their name, to the influence of York on their work, to the concept behind their upcoming show, Places 2013.