Review: Cafe Concerto

finds it difficult to tear herself away from the enticing delights of Cafe Concerto

Credit: york360.co.uk

Credit: york360.co.uk

Restaurant: Cafe Concerto
Address: 21, High Petergate
Prices: Mains ranging from £9-16
Rating: ★★★★☆

The music-plastered walls of Cafe Concerto earned themselves two visits, one for dinner and one for breakfast the next day, after one trip just wasn’t enough.

Mismatched chairs and tables scatter the room, and the cafe is buzzing, day and night. The window seat is the perfect place for people-watching, with the cafe, also on High Petergate, looking directly onto the Minster. Sit further back for the evening to fully enjoy the fun and relaxed vibes of happy diners.

If you’re there for breakfast (which you should be), make sure to order a large hazelnut latte, the mug will be the size of your head. To accompany, you can stray down either the sweet or savoury path, both are good. A cooked breakfast is just the right size and set perfectly out on the plate, whilst for the more sweet-toothed diners (myself), the cafe offers a selection of cakes, sweet breads and toast (even gluten-free).

coffee

The cafe oozes coolness, definitely a hangout for the young and trendy locals. Dinner-wise, the cafe’s atmosphere remains as calm and fun as throughout the day. The cuisine is difficult to define, with fresh, home-made dishes ranging from tartes to lasagnes, each with a Concerto twist.

For the cocktail-drunk, the gluten-free bread and oils to start were definitely in order. Following this was perhaps the best goats’ cheese salad I have ever had, made with walnuts, blanched pears and avocado. You won’t want to leave, so promise yourself another visit, or you simply won’t.