Review: Gin and Juice

Despite rumours Gin and Juice is back. We review the first night of the new uni year

Credit (and featured image): Mark Woodward Photography

90s hip-hop and RnB night is a complete refreshment in comparison with the usual Avicii-aided dance floors you find in most clubs. While the music didn’t restrict itself to the 90s, it was still a fun, alcohol-fuelled blur of a night.

Musically it impressed. The juxtaposition between the most recent dark trap style beats of Schoolboy Q’s “Yay Yay” and The Sugarhill Gang’s 1979 smash “Rapper’s Delight” showed they could both set the dance floor alight despite being from completely different eras. The booty-shaking ubiquity of great hip-hop production, it seems, can transcend time. You could still hear how the form has evolved in leaps and bounds since its original conception yet also appreciate how those vital elements established in the late 70s and developed in the 80s have come to define arguably one of the most consistently popular genres of the 90s and beyond. Whether this was a conscious choice by the DJ to clash the oldest with the newest or not, it still provided food for thought when I should have probably been dancing the night away.

The 90s classics were certainly welcoming. Brandy and Blackstreet in particular sent this writer into a state of euphoria. Though not a song from the 90’s itself, the choice of playing 90’s icon Snoop Dogg 2004 hit “Drop It Like It’s Hot” created a storm. Interestingly it was produced by The Neptunes, whom member Pharrell Williams nearly 10 years later still practically holds a monopoly over the dance floor with two major examples of it from this year (“Get Lucky” and “Blurred Lines”). The DJ also seemed to have a particular liking for Kanye West’s ground-breaking and earth-shattering masterpiece Yeezus, playing at least 4 songs from the album. “Blood on the Leaves” was a highlight and made perfect sense in the context of the dance floor. It felt bizarre dancing to “New Slaves” – a sound about how we’re all slaves to gluttony in the modern world, but it just goes to show the power of a monolithic powerhouse of a beat.

The atmosphere was lively, unpretentious and downright rowdy by the end of the night. There was plenty of pulling (I didn’t, I of course had extra-curricular concerns) as you come to expect in a club, but it somehow didn’t feel too sleazy. There was a lack of 90s music and the toilets which were, a bit shit. But otherwise it was a musically thrilling way to drink cranberry juice and vodka. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to order gin and juice though.

Credit: Mark Woodward Photography

Credit: Mark Woodward Photography

1. 11 Oct ’13 at 5:55 pm

xoDAVE _FAN127xo

I ONLii CAMe HeRE 4 DAVE.. U R MI IDOL XXXXXXXX