Respects for former student who has died, aged just 28

“Jonathan was such a warm, funny, talented guy. He was a brilliant businessman and was always the life and soul of the party when we blew his hard-earned cash on kegs of beer.”

nouse

Respects have been paid to a former student of the University, who died tragically in a horrific crash last Monday.

Jonathan McCarthy’s rented car was involved in a collision with a lorry near Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry.

28-year-old Jonathan, from Huddersfield, and his partner Andrea Elliott (31), from Rugby, were pronounced dead at the scene and their bodies were removed to Kerry General Hospital for post-mortems.

The Irish Independent reported the couple had been enjoying a short break in the southwest after travelling to Ireland to attend a wedding.

Heidi Blake, who worked with Jonathan during his time as Managing Director of Nouse, told us, “Jonathan was such a warm, funny, talented guy.

“He was a brilliant businessman who raked in untold riches for a scrappy student newspaper and he was always the life and soul of the party when we blew his hard-earned cash on kegs of beer.

“It was obvious to anyone that he was going places and it’s a huge shock that his life has been so tragically cut short. I know he’ll be remembered with huge fondness and admiration by everyone who worked with him at Nouse.”

Professor Andrew M. Jones, Head of the Department of Economics, commented, “We are very sorry to hear the sad news of Jonathan McCarthy’s untimely death. Jonathan graduated from the Department of Economics and Related Studies with a BSc in Economics in 2007.”