Raid the Fridge: Omelette

Delay your trip to CostCutters and dig out those creative juices

Credit: Nebulux76

Credit: Nebulux76

Hungry? Poor? Lazy? Welcome to the world of stubborn, stingy student cooking. This Raid the Fridge series is all about using whatever dribs, drabs and dregs are left in your cupboard, fridge and freezer. Hopefully this will delay the inevitable trip to Costcutter, Co-op or the corner shop, where the cashier has to pry your bank card from your hand with a crowbar.

This particular omelette recipe will give you a delightful dinner using only £1.34 worth of ingredients. The great thing with omelettes is that they’re filling and quick to make when you’re in a rush. You can also make them as simple or fancy as you like, by removing or substituting ingredients to suit your palate.

Scavenged Ingredients:
1 potato
2 eggs
2 tbsp butter
A handful of grated cheese
A sprinkling of salt and pepper
Half a chopped onion
A handful of peas

Method
1. Chop the potato into small chunks and cook them in boiling water for roughly 10 minutes – you want them to be soft enough to be able to mash them with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, grab a bowl and beat your eggs, cheese, half of the butter and season with salt and pepper.
3. When the spuds are done, drain them and mash them up with a fork. They don’t have to be silky smooth, just so long as they’re not in solid chunks.
4. Put the rest of the butter in a small frying pan on medium/high and let it to melt. When it has, chuck in the onion, peas and potatoes, and fry them until the onions are translucent.
5. Pour in your egg mixture and tilt the pan to allow the egg mixture to evenly cover the bottom of the pan. Leave it to cook for a few minutes until the bottom of the omelette is lightly set and golden in colour.
6. Flip it with a spatula (unless you have mad Pancake Day skills and want to freestyle) and let it cook for a few minutes on the other side.
7. When it’s cooked all the way through, take it out of the pan and let it cool for a few moments before eating. If you’re looking for a nice little accompaniment, see if you can dig out a lettuce leaf or a slice of bread for that rustic finishing touch.

1. Omelette you finish but this is the best recipe of ALL TIME of ALL TIME.