There’s a Vegan in my Kitchen: Smoothies

Throw off that hangover and fend off Freshers’ flu with a fresh, healthy, vegan start to the day

Originating from Brazilian recipes, smoothies hit the West Coast of America in the 1930s and have since become a worldwide delicacy. They are healthy, quick and delicious as meals, snacks, or beverages – the variety is endless. From first being purchased in health food stores, they can now be had in cafes, supermarkets and can also be made easily at home, no skill required, just a culinary imagination and a liking for things shaken and stirred.

Credit: Photofoodstyle

Credit: Photofoodstyle

Morning Burst
3 passion fruits
1 banana
70g of strawberries
300ml of orange juice
4-6 ice cubes

Scoop the pulps of the passion fruits out. Chop up the banana and hull the strawberries. Add all the ingredients to the blender and puree. Simples.

Kuba’s Ultragreen Heaven
60g of spinach
2 kiwis
½ of a white grapefruit
1tsp of flaxseeds
Some fresh mint or 1/2 tsp dried mint
250ml of chilled green tea
4-6 ice cubes

Boil 250ml of water and make a pot of green tea. Leave on the side to cool.
Scoop the kiwis out and chop up the grapefruit.
Put all the ingredients into the blender; add the cooled green tea and ice. Blend, blend, blend, and then you’re in heaven. Kuba adds a little vodka to spice it up!
Alterations to the recipe could be to: replace the white grapefruit with banana to sweeten it, or to make it thicker add avocado, you could also change the base to water or apple juice.

Creamy Coconut, Banana and Sweet Mango Smoothie
200ml of coconut milk
4tbs plain soya yogurt
1 banana
70g of mango chunks
30g of blueberries
2tbs of honey

Chop up the banana and then put all the ingredients in a blender to get a creamy smoothie!

Island Enchantment
1 mango chopped
300g of plain soy yogurt
4 tbsp of honey
1 banana
10 strawberries
10 raspberries
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp of freshly grated lemon zest
3-6 ice cubes

In a blender add all the ingredients and blend.
To make a layered smoothie of two colours add half the mixture except the strawberries and raspberries with the mango and banana and blend.
Then rinse the blender and add the other half of the ingredients with the strawberries and blueberries. Scoop the mango and banana layer into the glass, then gently spoon the strawberry and raspberry on top.

Featured image credit: Creative commons, TinyTall

1. 9 Oct ’13 at 10:00 am

The Mighty Oosh

As lovely as all of these look, I have to ask what students do you think can actually be arsed to make these? Cup of tea is about as much effort as a hangover allows!

2. 10 Oct ’13 at 1:02 am

To blend or not to blend

I came, I saw, I blended.

3. Replace the honey with agave to make the last 2 recipes vegan.

4. 11 Oct ’13 at 5:08 pm

David Wishengrad

Life is Most Important in Life: The Most Important Truth in Life

We are Life: a Truth. We are NOT, NOR are we EVER our actions. Our actions are NOT a definition of us. As an example: To call anyone a vegan or to say that anyone can be or become a vegan is an outright lie.

If you want to help the animals, including people, then stick to the Truth, 100%.

The fastest and surest way to turn someone away from REAL veganism (a lifestyle) is to call anyone a vegan and impart the lie of inequality.