University back in world top 100

Image: Petroc Taylor.

Image: Petroc Taylor.

The University has been ranked 100th in the world in the new Times Higher Education league table.

York rose three places from 103rd in last year’s THE rankings, and was the eleventh highest UK university in this year’s rankings, which were released tonight.

This is the fifth time York has featured in the top 100 and the second successive year that the University has risen in the THE world rankings, jumping 18 places last year after falling out of the top 100 in 2011, when York dropped 40 places to 121st.

Last month, York fell 14 places in the QS world rankings from 110th to 124th, where it finished 20th among UK institutions, behind the likes of Queen Mary, Southampton, Leeds, Sheffield, and Birmingham.

However, THE has ranked York well above institutions such as Sheffield (112), St Andrews (117), Lancaster (137), and Warwick (141).

The University’s Acting Vice-Chancellor, Dr Jane Grenville, said: “Our presence in the top 100 of the comprehensive global rankings compiled by Times Higher Education demonstrates the world class calibre of research at the University of York and the outstanding quality of our teaching and learning. The enormous progress we have made in the 50 years since the University was established is a tribute to the vision of our founders and the hard work and exceptional commitment of staff and students past and present.”

Oxford is the highest ranked UK university, in joint second place, while Manchester, Bristol, and Durham all make the top 100. The California Institute of Technology retained its number one spot, ahead of Harvard and Oxford.

York was recently named the best University in Yorkshire by the Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014, placing at 11th overall.

At the time, a University spokesman said that the assessment of York as a ‘genuinely world-class university’ was “a clear endorsement of both of our academic quality and the rewarding student experience we provide”.

This year’s THE world rankings for universities under 50 years old ranked York as the best in the UK for the second year running, and seventh in the world.

York had also previously been ranked 16th in The Guardian league table, gaining just one place, while The Complete University Guide ranked York as 12th for the second year running.

The full THE 2013-14 world rankings are available here.

1. … Cambridge?