Catwalk to High Street: Check List

shows you how to inject some catwalk style checks in to your everyday outfits

Celine checks

Checks, tartan, tweed: you think of a square based print and without a doubt the autumn/winter 2013 catwalks presented it. Tweed is no longer for grandmothers and shooting trips, as everyone from Celine to Emilia Wickstead showed coats, evening dresses, hats, bags and more in checkered prints in every fabric you could wish for: fur, sequins, silks and of course, traditional wool.

Celine’s laundry-bag checks are already the desire of every woman’s wardrobe having made their way onto Vogue’s August 2013 cover worn by the enviably cool Freja Beha. On the runway Celine paired their checks with more checks for a full impact and modern look. Emilia Wickstead too presented head-to-toe contrasting checks. Her checked mini dress and full-length coat ensemble felt young and fun and full of charm in soft hues. Such powerhouses as Dolce & Gabbana and Lanvin too dared to show top-to-toe checks.

Silence + Noise Tartan Duster Coat, Urban Outfitters, £145

However, this trend is easily accessible with a tartan coat thrown over the top of any outfit. See Stella McCartney for inspiration for the perfect tartan coat and search in most high street stores and you’ll find a varied selection of checked coats. In the shops now, a particular favourite is Silence + Noise’s long tartan duster coat form Urban Outfitters. Its slouchy fit makes it casual and the perfect coats for the everyday walks to lectures in the bitter Yorkshire weather.

Clutch in Sequin Check, Asos, £30

Clutch in Sequin Check, Asos, £30

On the other hand, if you’ve already bought your winter coat for this season buy into the trend with checkered accessories. Michael Kors showed houndstooth stoles, Tommy Hilfiger presented plaid hats and ties, Celine and Stella had checked clutches, Emilia Wickstead offered tweed shoes, or, for a bit of glamour, go sequined like Ashish. ASOS’s clutch in sequin check adds AW13 style to your evening outfit.

Houndstooth Coat, Zara, £109

Houndstooth Coat, Zara, £109

Houndstooth is the ideal solution for the chromophobic, not only did Michael Kors put forward the monochromatic print but Ashish, Dior and Gucci all churned out pieces in the print. For a high street take, head to Zara and purchase their houndstooth coat, effortless and colour-free for all those frightened to step away from their grayscale wardrobes.

mulberry-Dog-1

Conversely, if all this check business seems a but too much, take a leaf out of Mulberry’s book and just dress your dog in checks instead.