£300k offered to hard-up students

Just under 300 students claimed hardship funds for last academic year

The amount claimed by students in hardship funds has increased by a fifth to over £300,000 over the past year.

Eight students have already applied for hardship funds before arriving at for this academic year. Over the course of 2013/2013 there were a total of 291 students who applied of which just under 230 were successful.

In total students claimed £321, 495.49 last year, increasing from £260,111.79 in 2011/12.

£168, 180.333 was given out through the Access to learning Fund and £54, 668.51 was allocated to students from the International Students Hardship Fund during 2012/2013.

The additional £69,395.65 allocated during 2012 coincides with the University’s decision to increase fees to £9,000.

YUSU Welfare Officer, George Offer, has welcomed the fact the University has been able to help nearly 300 students, but added that “the University really needs to step up and help students in financial difficulty.

A spokesperson for the University said: “As a proportion of the total student population there are relatively few students who find themselves in financial hardship. Student Support Services are able to offer assistance and ongoing support students via Welfare Advisers, based in our Student Support Hub. They offer students an impartial, non-judgemental money advice service.

Budgeting and other financial advice is available in person, online and in the workshops and advice sessions Student Support Services provides throughout the year across the University.

They added: “Finally, our advice is to seek information and advice on managing finances as early as possible. Managing money is not a skill that everybody has but is one that everyone can learn.”

Offer told Nouse: “It’s great that 300 students have been helped by the fund, but this is just a drop in the ocean.

“Students are paying more than ever to be at University and the University really needs to step up and help students in financial difficulty. If anyone does want advice on finance pop into Student Support Services upstairs on Market Square”.