York named as top university in the North

The University of York has been named the best in the north and 11th overall, according to The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014

7232978108_40334d9271_b

The University of York has been named the best in the North and 11th overall, according to The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014.

That marks a two place rise from last year, when York was ranked 13th in the Good University Guide 2013.

The University of Sheffield was placed second in the northern university rankings, with Leeds and the University of Hull in third and fourth places respectively.

A University spokesman said: “This confirmation that York is firmly in the top rank of UK universities is a clear endorsement of both of our academic quality and the rewarding student experience we provide. It is testament to the dedication and hard work of our staff. The Times and Sunday Times assessment of York as ‘a genuinely world-class university’ is a recognition of the huge strides we have made in our first 50 years.”

The list of northern universities does not include Durham University, which did place higher than York overall in sixth and was the top institution in the North East.

York has enjoyed various successes over the year in the league tables, including ranked as the best UK university under 50 years old for a second year running according to the 2013 Times Higher Education (THE) World Top 100 rankings. York was also the only UK institution that made the top 10 and one of eighteen other UK Universities represented.

However, York fell 14 places in the QS World Rankings last week. While six UK Universities made it into the top ten, York fell from 110th to 124th in the 2012/13 rankings.

York had also previously been ranked 16th in The Guardian league table, gaining just one place, while The Complete University Guide ranked York as 12th for the second year running.

The Times and Sunday Times league table is drawn up from criteria including student satisfaction, research quality, graduate prospects, entrance qualifications held by new students, degree results achieved, student/staff ratios, service and facilities spend, and university dropout rates.

The full results of the table are expected to be published this Sunday in The Sunday Times.

1. 20 Sep ’13 at 2:29 pm

impartial news fanatic

nice one stealing vision’s quote…

2. Durham is in the south

3. 20 Sep ’13 at 2:39 pm

@impartial news fanatic

I think you will find the University give the same quote to everyone. I’m sure York Press stole Vision’s quote despite publishing an hour before http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10689064.University_of_York_is_best_in_the_north_of_England/

4. Durham’s North of the Wall

5. And winter’s coming.

6. what about St. Andrews?