Free bus travel for off-campus students

YUSU President, Kallum Taylor, has secured free bus travel for freshers living outside of campus due to the accommodation shortfall

Credit: CARLOS62

Credit: CARLOS62

YUSU have secured free bus travel for freshers living outside of campus due to the accommodation shortfall.

The deal permits free travel on either the Unibus number 44 or SB1 busses for first years living in the The Boulevard or Catherine House, as long as they met the accommodation guarantee deadline.

The deal also applies to Vanbrugh College students living in Fairfax House next year, just off campus.

The buses will be able to take students to and from their accommodation for both Heslington West and Hes East campuses.

The route is an extension specifically for these students on the current ‘Campus Hopper’ service, which takes any student or staff member between the two campuses for free.

As per normal, further travel into the city centre will require a paid ticket at a small price.

The University has also agreed to provide annual bus passes for every Langwith College student living in Walmgate, which is much closer to the city. This will allow students to take the #44 Unibus to campus everyday free of charge.

Other Langwith students scattered across the city in University managed housing will also receive the “most relevant” form of bus pass to and from campus free of charge.

The latest news on free bus travel will be warmly welcomed by the 250 freshers living outside of campus, saving crucial money they thought may have to be spent travelling to campus every day.

Taylor said: “Whilst these moves won’t satisfy absolutely everyone, we are happy with what we’ve managed to put in place here this year. I do also think that this situation offers a good opportunity for YUSU and the college committees to start engaging more with off-campus students. It’s a real weakness currently – unless you’re part of a sports team, or a society, etc. – and we’ll be doing all we can across the year to make you guys feel just as much a ‘part of it’ as those on campus!”

The news comes as Taylor announced a new bus service, SB1, linking Hes West, Hes East, The Boulevard and Morrisons, as well as a cheaper £1 clubber’s bus ticket.

After a year’s interlude, the number 4 First bus service will also return to Hes East this year, which can take students into town in addition to the number 44 Unibus service.

A number 6 First bus service will also link Hes East to Osbaldwick, Tang Hall, York City Centre, York Hospital and Clifton Moor.