York to host 2014 Rag Conference

nouse

The University of York RAG has won their bid to host the 2014 Rag Conference. The result was announced on Wednesday night at the 2013 conference held in Birmingham.

The conference is an annual event, held for student fundraisers from across the country. Delegates in attendance from York included Anna McGivern, Student Activities Officer, and Kate Elliot and Beth Greenwood, RAG Chairs. York RAG competed against Leeds and Loughborough universities.

York’s bid offered “separate workshop streams tailored to each RAGs’ differing needs in a uniquely accessible location” and a focus on making the “conference affordable so more people than ever can attend”.

Anna Mcgivern, YUSU Activities Officer, told Nouse:“Conference has grown year on year and Birmingham and Carnival RAG put on quite a show for us all. For Beth (one part of our RAG Chair) I think it was an invaluable experience to meet other SUs and RAGs from all over the country.

‘For me, as your Activities Sabb, it was good to build on relationships with officers from the summer and look at ways in which YUSU can work with other RAGs and SUs over the next year. Winning the opportunity to host RAG Conference is so exciting for all of us. We actually can not wait to start planning what will hopefully be the best RAG Conference. We’ve already been talking to lots of people, from RAGs to NUS to NasFA, in order to find out exactly what it is people want and need from York RAG conference 2014.”

York RAG has had a highly successful year. Spring term’s RAG week saw over £10,000 raised for charities such as Independent Domestic Abuse Services, Water Aid and YUSU Volunteering.

Several York delegates were also elected to the National Student Fundraising Association. Anna McGivern and another York RAG committee member who will be co-opted at a later date will be taking up positions on the NASFA committee. McGivern described her excitement for taking up this position, describing it as “a great opportunity to take the organization beyond the planning stages, and really deliver a support network that RAGs from all universities can use.