Society in Focus: DramaSoc

The latest in the series, explains why you should be joining DramaSoc, who perform weekly plays in the Drama Barn

IMG_2426-600x400

The University of York’s DramaSoc is up and coming as one of the most active and exciting drama societies in the country, performing between 7 to 9 plays every term and being involved with prestigious drama events nationally, such as the National Student Drama Festival and the Edinburgh Fringe.

This society is truly a fantastic place to learn, share and participate amongst the drama lovers at this university. Meet friends, watch plays, direct, stage manage, produce, design, act… The opportunities are endless and we would love you to be involved.

DramaSoc preside over the Drama Barn, a small black-box theatre, which every week hosts a new and exciting play. The standard and professionalism of the society has been commended nationally, and the Drama Barn was hosted to the International Student Drama Festival this past academic year.

Not only are 7 to 9 plays chosen each term to be performed on weekends, Monday nights are host to Open Drama Nights, which feature everything from magic shows to improvised Shakespeare, all completely free for audience members. On top of that the society offers a wide variety of workshops to all members, and can provide links to both national and local theatre companies, actors, playwrights and directors.

DramaSoc are constantly expanding, and are looking forward to a very exciting year. To find out more about how to get involved, our committee members, Freshers workshops and auditions, visit our website and Facebook and Twitter pages.