Review: The Same Deep Water As Me

The Same Deep Water As Me is another play to be proud of for York University alumnus Nick Payne. reviews

Review: The Same Deep Water As Me
Venue: Donmar Warehouse Theatre
Dates: 1st Aug- 28th Sept
Rating: ★★★★☆

SAME deep water Nigel Lindsay Barry Paterson and Daniel Mays Andrew Eagleman with Monica Dolan Georgina in The Same Deep Water As Me Photo by Johan Persson

Script still in hand, Gerard Monaco stepped flawlessly into the leading role of Andrew Eagleman this week in Nick Payne’s The Same Deep Water As Me. The role presents a thirty-something solicitor, dragged back to his humble beginnings after a failed career in London, now working in the dreaded area of ‘personal claims’. As we follow Eagleman down a fraudulent path, we are met with fantastic one-liners, honest dilemnas and an array of characters who are beautifully crafted by Payne’s distinctive penmanship. The individual developments of each character knit together to create a network of individuals each relatable to the audience at any given moment.

As in Payne’s award-winning Constellations, the characters are beautifully real. As we peer into Eagleman’s office, our view is not tinted, as it is so often is, with the glazed window between show and reality. Instead, we seem to watch genuine people expressing genuine emotions. Not even the presence of a script could interfere with the absorbing reality of this performance.

The show is perfectly cast: relative newcomer Isabella Laughland delivers a show-stealing performance. Her mannerisms are so exact and the delivery of lines so perfectly timed that the audience hang on every word, and fall apart with every insult.

Payne’s quick-witted and beautiful writing thrills the audience once again with a play sure to match Constellations in its award-winning success. Another play to be proud of for York University alumnus Nick Payne.