Fringe Review: Andrew Maxwell – Banana Kingdom

Ireland’s stand-up comedy king, Andrew Maxwell is back again for yet another gig at the Edinburgh fringe. But does the show live up to the hype, asks

MAXWELL250

Rating: ★★★★☆

With posters dotted all around the city, proclaiming five star quality, I made a pilgrimage to the Underbelly to see whether one of Ireland’s foremost stand-up prodigies is really as funny as his press team make him out to be.

This time around, Maxwell, who has made appearances on shows such as Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Mock The Week, and was voted the “King of Comedy” on the Channel 4 reality TV of the same name, returns armed with so many nationality jokes that no one in the audience is safe from his tenacious onslaught of offence. 

Admittedly, Maxwell goes for the low risk approach, playing predominantly on cultural stereotypes. But he does it an a original way which makes you surprised at how much fresh material he manages to churn out of this familiar comic theme.

Ultimately though, whilst his seamless stream of jokes left me laughing pretty continuously throughout, I didn’t experience any of the paroxysms of laughter promised by the posters. Banana Kingdom is a very very good show, which slightly falls short of the hype. Still, it’s well worth a see.

Banana Kingdom is showing at the Underbelly, Bristo Square, at 19.15, until 26th August