Nearly twice as many Clearing places at York as at St John

140 courses at the University were on offer through clearing for UK students this morning

Photo credit: CARLOS62

Photo credit: CARLOS62

The University of York had 140 courses on offer through Clearing for UK students this morning. The city’s other institution, York St John University, which is not a member of the Russell Group, had places available on only 78 of its courses.

The University of Warwick, a fellow Russell Group member and two years younger than York, only had clearing places for 82 of its courses, while the University of Leeds was offering clearing places for 514 courses. These figures do not take into account the total number of courses offered by universities.

The figures obtained via a clearing service provided by The Daily Telegraph show that international applicants could apply for 161 courses at the University through clearing this morning.

Courses available to international students, yet unavailable to UK applicants, included Biology and Law-related subjects. Courses within the departments of Social Work, Education, and Theatre, Film and Television were available only to UK students through the clearing system.

Courses which were not offering places through adjustment or clearing included Chemistry, Psychology, History and PEP. This information was supplied by the University’s clearing webpage.

A member of University staff stated that around 200 students accepted places through the clearing system in summer 2012.

According to UCAS, the counrty’s leading higher education application service, a record 385,910 students were accepted into a university or college following the release of A-Level results this morning. This is a nine per cent increase on last year and 345,300 applicants have been accepted to their ‘firm choice’ institution, higher than previous totals on results day.

However, it is estimated that 145,730 UK applicants would have been going into the clearing system this morning, while 98,740 would have been awaiting results and decisions. This year marks the second year in which UK students would have been expecting to pay £9,000 tuition fees. In the summer of 2011, fewer students were willing to let go of places, resulting in fewer places available in clearing. Only 130 students entered the University through clearing in 2011.

1. And the point of the pointless comparison with YSJ, Leeds and Warwick is .. what, exactly?

2. I like trains and sometimes I like to drive to the sea and stalk seals whilst they go about their business.

I run a small car company and drive a boat down the river Ouse, being given loose of course for all the trouble I go to.

3. Should I be having a panic attack over this?

4. Kneel before me I am your new god.