York joint fourth in Russell Group for satisfaction

89 per cent of students are satisfied with their course according to recently published NSS data

hes hall

89 per cent of York students are satisfied with their course, according to recently published figures.

The National Student Survey data, published by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), is an annual survey carried out on those students graduating from institutions across the country.

This figure is the highest recorded since 2009 when there was also an 89 per cent satisfaction rate.

The figure put York joint fourth in the Russell Group alongside with Glasgow, Queen Mary University of London and Cardiff.

The University of Cambridge topped the Russell Group table with 92 per cent satisfaction, followed by Exeter and Oxford respectively, while Bath topped the table overall with 94 per cent satisfied.

Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Teaching, Learning and Information, Professor John Robinson, said: “The NSS gives us a wealth of valuable information on students’ impressions of their learning experience at York and is an important component in our continuing efforts to refine it. That 89 per cent of respondents expressed overall satisfaction with their courses reflects well on the skill and dedication of our staff. Nevertheless, there will be no let up in our endeavour to ensure that all students are completely satisfied with their learning experience at York.”

The data shows 2316 people responded to the question when asked if they were satisfied with the quality of the course overall. This is a total of 71 per cent of those eligible to respond at the university.

Student satisfaction between courses also varied greatly. For example, Biochemistry received one hundred per cent student satisfaction, compared with Writing, Directing and Performance, TFTV, where only 59 per cent of students were satisfied overall.

Student satisfaction for YUSU also rose marginally by one per cent this year to 62 per cent overall after 2241 students responded.

However, this is still relatively low compared to other Student Unions across the country where the average student satisfaction level across England is 68 per cent.

Other statistics show there is room for improvement for the ‘Assessment and Feedback’ category, with only 64 per cent of students saying they are satisfied.

This figure is slightly lower than the national average, which is at 65 per cent.

Nonetheless, the University scored an average of 80 per cent or above on questions relating to the level of academic support, course organisation, library resources and personal development.

Data concerning the level of satisfaction for medical and nursing placements was also highly rated, with an average of 89 per cent of students saying they were satisfied.

The overall annual student satisfaction rate for course quality between 2009 and 2012 was 89, 86, 87 and 88 per cent respectively.