Henley success for women’s rowing squads

The women's four squad had a successful regatta. Image: Boat Club

The women’s four squad had a successful regatta. Image: Boat Club

The University of York’s Boat Club traveled to Henley last weekend to compete in the most important regatta of the season and both squads produced an impressive display against some of the top boat clubs from all around the world.

Held at Henley-on-Thames, the home of the famous regatta, York produced two crews. A women’s eights squad that featured Maddi Belsey-Day, Natasha Linyard-Tough, Mary Goodwin, Amy Finch, Alice Duston, Daisy Van Den Berg, Joanna Child and Francesca Charlton-Jones.

They also put out a women’s four boat which comprised of Erica Emond, Sarah Robley, Eloisa Cackett, Evelien Rutgers and Anna Lavelle.

The eights squad raced on a 1500m course in the time trial event held last Friday but unfortunately missed out on qualifying for the heats by eight seconds. Regardless, it has been a wonderful season for the squad and the Boat Club’s press and publicity officer Charlotte Price said the team were in ‘high spirits’ following their terrific race.

The women’s four produced a phenomenal display in their time trial which saw then qualify for the heats which took place the following Saturday. In the first heat they beat Kings College and went on to face Cambridge University in the quarter finals. They showed off impressive form to dispatch their Cambridge opponents and make the semi finals.

Unfortunately, after a wonderful regatta, the fours squad were beaten in the semi final by Exeter University but they managed to achieve the best results the Boat Club have ever seen in the Henley Regatta.

With many of the ladies who competed last weekend in their last year of university it was a fantastic last regatta to be involved in. It has been an incredibly successful year for the Boat Club, they achieved a record membership at fresher’s week and received a £10,000 grant from Sport England in recognition of the development of the club.