Get Your Jugs Out

For all those beginning the summer now, here are a few heavy-weight cocktails to send you in the right direction

Credit: TheCulinaryGeek

Credit: TheCulinaryGeek

Summer is finally upon us, albeit in spirit rather than any actual fine weather. Students, finally liberated from the tyranny of exams and assessments, have only the more traditional forms of student life to occupy their time until term ends: boozing and barbeques. To help with both, Muse Food & Drink thought it would help out by suggesting a few delicious cocktail recipes which can be made in large volumes to help you force down those half-raw sausages and horsemeat burgers. By using the term ‘measures’, the recipes are essentially turned into ratios, meaning that they can be made in a cocktail shaker (BHS in town is currently selling a fantastic shaker for £6.80) or in much larger portions to make a punch cocktails.

Grateful Dead
This beast of a drink is traditionally made with equal parts of gin, rum, vodka, tequila and raspberry juice, though I doubt that guests for you barbeque will be sober enough to notice if you change the spirits or juice around too much, after a few glasses. The Grateful Dead may be the perfect way of getting rid of all the alcohol left. Add to a punch bowl full of ice and make sure to give the concoction a good stir to create a bit of dilution. Wouldn’t want party guests to be too lashed before they get to their end of year socials now…

Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin 70cl – Aldi £9.65
Cockspur Five Star Fine Rum 70cl – Bargainbooze.co.uk £13.69
Russian Standard Vodka 70cl – Bargainbooze.co.uk £12.99
Jose Cuervo Especial Gold Tequila 50cl – Tesco £10.99
Juice of your choice, though a more citrusy one works best. Both Tesco and Sainsburys have 3 for £2.50 deals on currently on their basic range of juices.

Woo Woo
The easiest of drinks to make in large quantities, but one which will impress and inebriate your guests in equal measure. The quantities are simple, with the Woo Woo being made of a quarter each of Peach Schnapps and Vodka, and the other half being cranberry juice. You can adjust the sweetness of the cocktail by adding more or less schnapps to the mix.

Smirnoff Red Label Vodka 100cl- Tesco £16
Savanna Peach Schnapps 70cl – Tesco £6.90
Tesco Cranberry Juice Drink 1 litre – Tesco £1 (3 for £2.50)

Tequila Sunrise
The thousands of students who study at the University of York come from a great many places, and have views and opinions which covers vast swathes of the socio-political spectrum. One great unifier that all students can rally behind however, is the shared experience of the post-Willow tequila-induced hangover. This vile shared experience has put many a student off of the Mexican alcohol, but who said that all tequila had to be guzzled down (and then quickly jettisoned) in Willow? The Tequila Sunrise combines tequila with orange juice and grenadine, a wonderfully sweet pomegranate based liquor, to create a summery delight. If you can’t face the thought of any more tequila after the post-exam splurge, then you could opt for Southern Comfort, which would make the drink a Southern Sunrise. The drink should be roughly half juice, a third tequila, and two fifths grenadine.

Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila 50cl – Tesco, Asda or Sainsburys £14
Monin Grenadine Mixer 70cl – Ocado £4.07
ASDA Orange Juice Smooth 1 litre – £1 Asda. Get any orange juice you want to, but don’t go for a posh one like Tropicana. You won’t really taste the finer intricacies of the juice anyway through the tequila and grenadine.