Derwent dominate to claim College Hockey Cup

ALCUIN FIRSTS 4–9 DERWENT FIRSTS
Cup Final

Images: Agatha Torrance

A confident Derwent performance in both halves of a match full of flair and prowess saw the University’s oldest college lift the hockey college cup on a windswept JLD this afternoon.

Derwent asserted their dominance in the opening minutes of the game. After Alcuin’s Alex Wilson conceded a free hit on the edge of the D, Chris Daniels stepped up to fire the ball to an unmarked Matt Leech at the far post, who tucked the ball into goal via the post.

The winning side continued to dominate possession, whilst Alcuin struggled to work the ball into the D; the trailing team saw two goals disallowed for not scoring from inside the D in the first ten minutes.

Shortly after, Derwent finally doubled their lead. Laura Simpson played a dangerous ball in from the right towards Leech, but it was turned into goal by an unfortunate Alcuin player, Robin Willows.

As half time approached, the game suddenly saw four goals fly in before the break, with only one of these goals being claimed by Alcuin. The first goal pushed the score to 3-0 from another Alcuin own goal under similar circumstances of the previous one, but this time it was Daniel with the cross.

In the second goal of the flurry, Derwent captain Jack Bradshaw picked up the ball in his own half before running the length of the pitch, rounding two defenders, and tucking the ball into the net. The ever-skillful Sam Richardson increased the score to 5-0 shortly after.

Alcuin ended the goal flurry in the last play of the first half; camped on the edge of the D, Phil Hughes succinctly played the ball to the onrushing Dave Washington, who struck the ball first-time past the Derwent defence and into the net.

Instead of resting on their laurels, Derwent decided to carry on adding to their lead in the second half. Once again, Richardson proved himself to be too hot to handle after his lengthy run came to a goal very early on.

Nevertheless, Alcuin looked for a response, but they were struggling to get anything past the rock-solid Hannah Cooke at the heart of the Derwent defence. However, she was beaten when a fizzed cross was tucked into goal ahead of her by Lucinda Cowling. Alcuin kept the momentum going when a tap-in by Wilson on the line made the score 6-3.

However, Derwent weren’t willing to let their three-goal cushion recede any further. As an instant reaction to Wilson’s goal, Bradshaw tucked a shot in off the post after a scrap inside the D.

After James Ramm had a goal disallowed because he shot went above knee height, Alcuin scored their final goal of the game when Willows ball into the D forced an own goal from Daniel. Regardless, Derwent continued to push for goals right up until the final minute.

Richardson’s immense dribbling skills only landed him in trouble when he found himself penned in to the corner of the pitch, yet the talisman still managed to wrangle an angle for a shot. His shot could only fly back into the D off the near post, but it fell fortuitously for Bradshaw as he fired home the rebound.

Ramm decided to finish up the scoring in the dying moments; a ball into the D by Phil Hammick failed to be cleared by the Alcuin defence and Ramm stepped in to take the ball and finish with ease.

If Alcuin had had their starlet Katie Penrose on the pitch today, and if their long-passing game had been on form, then the match could have been a much tighter affair. Nevertheless, Derwent were focused and reliable throughout the game and their victory was fully deserved.

Elsewhere on the JLD, James seconds came out as victors of the Plate when they defeated Goodricke firsts 2-1. Goodricke made up for their shortcomings by claiming the Vase title with a 5-3 win for their thirds team against Halifax seconds.

Alcuin squad: Willows, Washington (C), Wilson, Hughes, Cowling, Mason Yates

Derwent squad: Hammick, Daniel, Simpson, Leech, Richardson, Bradshaw (C), Cooke, Ramm

Player of the match: Hannah Cooke