York remains top UK university under 50 years

The University of York has been ranked as the best UK university under 50 years old for a second year running according to the 2013 Times Higher Education (THE) World Top 100 rankings

York is the only UK institution that made the top 10

The University of York has been ranked as the best UK university under 50 years old for a second year running according to the 2013 Times Higher Education (THE) World Top 100 rankings.

The figures show York has gained one place to seventh overall, competing against institutions from seven other nations in the top 10 alone.

York is also the only UK institution that made the top 10, compared to three last year, and one of eighteen other UK Universities represented.

These included the University of Warwick at 13th, Lancaster University at 14th and the University of East Anglia at 16th respectively.

This number is down from 20 last year, although one of 2012’s entrants, Keele University, is now too old to be included. However, the UK is still the most representative in the league compared to other nations.

28 countries were represented in total, but other strongly represented nations include Australia (13 institutions), the US (eight), France (seven), Spain (six) and Taiwan (five).

THE’s 100 Under 50 is based on the same 13 performance indicators to rate institutions as the overall World University Rankings, including teaching, research, interaction with industry and internationalisation.

However, the weighting placed on “subjective indicators of academic prestige,” such as ‘reputation’, has been reduced. This is because the analysis of younger institutions was designed to “move away from heritage” to examine future potential, as much as current performance, based on “objective performance indicators.”

The statistics compiled by THE relied on the world’s largest academic reputation survey which involved 17,500 academics and an analysis of 50 million citations.

Research influence was also judged by counting the number of times its published work is cited by scholars around the world from a pool of 12,000 academic journals.

The university’s teaching ability is also based on the 2012 Academic Reputation Survey, which includes indicators such as staff-to-student ratios.

Data for international outreach was also compiled by comparing the ratio of international-to-domestic students and staff.

A university’s ability to advance industry through innovation, invention and consultancy was also judged by how much research income an institution could attract from industry, scaled against the number of its academic staff.

York also recently gained a place in the Guardian 2014 University Rankings to 16th overall, as well as maintaining its position as 12th in the 2014 Complete University Guide.

The Pohang University of Science and Technology retained its top spot for a second year running.