New College Cup planned

The Vice Chancellor will be awarding a new College Cup from September to reward colleges for performing well across a variety of fields.

The inter-college competition will be based upon success in sport, RAG fund-raising, volunteering, careers development, elections, environmental campaigns and other activities. The proposals were put forward by YUSU Academic Officer Graeme Osborn, who worked in collaboration with other groups at the University.

Osborn commented: “The Cup has taken a lot of work from YUSU, JCRCs and Colleges and I am delighted that it is going ahead. I believe it will enhance the college experience and further develop college-based activities.”

The winning college will also receive a grant from the Vice Chancellor, which is to be spent investing in the college and rewarding the success of its students. Details of the grant are yet to be confirmed.

One of the most significant features of the new College Cup is that it is for the entire college, and not just the JCRC. The proposal states that the cup will validate the importance of colleges to York by “confirming their place at the heart of the University and their importance to the senior management”.

The Cup will run according to the academic year, being awarded at the YUSU awards at the end of Week 8 of summer term as of next year, rather than on the calendar year by which JCRCs are elected. YUSU believe this will lead to a boost in enthusiasm and participation in college activities.