Mapping York’s rent

This online data project confirmed a few anecdotal truisms about accommodation for us, but also provides some new interesting insights.

As expected, campus rents are far higher than anywhere else, even given the built-in utility costs. As you get further from the Uni, prices tend to fall.

So perhaps on Hes East and West you’re paying a premium for the convenience of location. Or perhaps you’re paying a premium because, merely by convention, the Uni has a monopoly on first year accommodation.

The most expensive off-campus areas are just northwest of Hes West, but interestingly there’s not a huge price difference between that prime location and the likes of Tang Hall or the river side of Fulford. This goes some way to dispelling the myth that Tang Hall is the grotty reserve of those with shallow pockets.

Another surprise is the relative cheapness of living closer to or even inside the City walls. Bargains of £57 and £63 per week in the heart of town more than make up for the distance from the Uni.

This seems to be due to an underlying trend: that private landlords are cheaper. The housing that orbits the two campuses is predominantly managed by the big five student letting agents, who are able to bump up their prices from the perceived security in your contract with them.

But, if YUSU’s last housing survey and our own ongoing research are anything to go by, you’re just as likely to get a good deal with less hassle from a private, independent landlord than from the likes of IG, Adam Bennett, et al.

View the interactive map

Data compiled by Josh Boswell, Tim Waterson, Josh Goodwin and Brandon Seager

1. Are the prices for individuals or households?

2. It’s individuals — data from households would end up skewed too much by number of bedrooms rather than by area

3. Do the off campus prices include bills? I know college accommodation is a rip off, but it’s worth bearing in mind that utilities, fast Internet connection, security, some cleaning and for some people catering are all included.

4. @Tom: Surely the complete opposite is true? Per person rates depend on how many people are in a house, but household rates are dependant on the number of rooms (and therefore static).

5. @Data: As a basic metric, rent per person is easier to understand than rent per house. How would you even work out rent per house for onsite accommodation?

Assuming each property rented has all its rooms filled – or that students have been successful in renting a property on the basis of the number of people they have e.g. I lived in a 5 bedroom property that we rented as a 4 bedroom…

Price per person makes more sense – especially as some will be rented on a per person basis.

Yes, the number of rooms does effect the overall price, expect to pay more for smaller (1,2 bedroom), and large 6+ properties, but they are secondary drivers. Would be nice to have, but a secondary concern.

For a map like this, where there isn’t much data, the simplest metric possible is the best.

6. Good work, keep it up! Hope you get more data filled into the map as it’s a good guide.