Futsal step up fundraising efforts ahead of European adventure

The university Futsal Club are stepping up their attempts to raise funds for their trip to the European Championships this summer. Ahead of their journey to Malaga next month to play against Europe’s top university futsal teams, the club are setting up a number of fundraising initiatives to help get them to Spain.

On Sunday, the club are holding an exhibition match which pits their BUCS Premier League-winning side against a College Cup Allstars team led by Vanbrugh’s Phil Taylor.

The full lineup of the College Allstars team is still to be confirmed, with the aim to include as many different colleges as possible. The match will take place in the Sports Tent at 7.45pm, with tickets priced at £5 and available from the YUSU website.

Club Secretary and goalkeeper Jonny Sim told Nouse, “It’s going to be quite a spectacle. The College Allstars will obviously have plenty of talent but it will be interesting to see them put this into action against us on the futsal pitch.

“It will be a highly entertaining game with plenty of goals, skills and a lot of pride and bragging rights on the line. There will also be a crossbar challenge at half time for spectators to get involved in! As well as being a lot of fun, it’s also a great way of helping us get to the European Championships – your support would be fantastic.”

Other plans being put in place for the coming weeks include a competition for local futsal teams, the York Open, which was a regular event in past years, and a day of coaching from the club’s coach Junior Roberti.

“We’re planning to revive the tradition of the York Open which is an all-day competition for local futsal teams that used to run every year,” Sim added. Our coach, Junior Roberti, is also hoping to do a coaching day for any local coaches or teams who want to learn from his vast experience and knowledge. It is great to see a lot of new teams being set up especially in the Leeds area. Futsal is really lifting off at the moment.”

Brian Cantor, the University Vice-Chancellor, is also getting involved in fundraising efforts, having offered to buy new tracksuits and training kits for the club ahead of the tournament in Spain. An email from the Vice-Chancellor’s office to the club read, “He [Cantor] was very impressed to read that you have got through to the European Finals. With this in mind he would like to support the team’s jackets and tops (and shirt for the coach) branded with the University logo.”

Finally, club captain, Tom Day, is producing a documentary on the club’s season. In January, the club became the first in the University’s history to win a Premier League title, before progressing to the semi finals of the National Championships, eventually losing out in a tight contest away at Brighton.

York were then invited to be the UK’s representatives at the European University Championships after Brighton and Loughborough, the other British university finalists, declined the invitation to play in Malaga. The tournament, organised by the European University Sports Association (EUSA), is due to run from July 21-28.