Complaints reach three figures over water shortages

An unprecedented amount of complaints have been made by Goodrickers over the recent water problems Goodricke College has experienced all year.

One hundred and twenty-two complaints have been made in total, putting huge pressure on the university for compensation similar to the settlement agreed with Langwith College.

The complaints form reads: “Several times during my residence in Goodricke College, all the water has been cut off in both my room and the kitchen. Most notably on 3rd May when there was no water for a number of hours and overnight between the 1st and 2nd of May as well as between 11th and 12th March.

“Provisional substantial (several hours) outages reported also include 19th March and 20th, 25th and 28th November. I understand that occasional outages may be necessary for maintenance […], however this has happened repeatedly since the beginning of the academic year.”

Moreover, only as recently as last week, the water supply was cut off to Goodricke’s Janet Baker Court between 10am and noon, leaving 226 students without running water to drink or wash.

The campaign was organised by Goodricke JCRC in collaboration with YUSU to reach a settlement similar to Langwith College’s compensation agreement earlier this year, in which they received £30,000 in part for water problems that Goodricke also experienced.

Goodricke Chair, Dean Hickey, has also placed support for the campaign, stating the availability of running water is a “basic human right” and a “statutory requirement to which the university as landlord is bound”.

The University’s Estates team has advised students they are working to fix the problem, but despite this water outages have continued.

Hugh Oatts and Bob Clarke, Goodricke’s Campaigns Officers, said: “It’s great that the university is working hard to fix the problems, but it doesn’t change the fact they happened in the first place. We’re very pleased with the response from those affected due to our campaign.”

The swimming pool has been identified as part of the problem.

1. I would like to complain. You should say “Unprecedented number” of complaints. Or, “Unprecedented levels of complaints.” The availability of spell checkers and copy editors is a basic human right, and your pedant readers demand satisfaction.