500 Days of Summer Cocktails

Be not without refreshment this summer with a line-up of some of the strongest and cheapest to share with friends, family, pets, or anyone else who might stroll past as you stir and shake

reeseclloyd

Summer is here and this calls for lovely recipes of alcohol-filled summer cocktails. Summer cocktails are known for their fresh, fruity flavours that are so tasty you don’t realise you are drinking alcohol till you are laying face down in your garden. Bring these cocktails along to a picnic, barbeque or even just blend one up for a lunch treat. If you are experiencing a blisteringly hot day, freeze them in a cup, making them into alcoholic popsicles.

For all of the recipes in this article, all you have to do is mix all the liquids in a pitcher and top up with crushed ice.

Beverly Hills Iced Tea is a variation of the famous Long Island Iced Tea, which has a twenty-two per cent alcohol concentration. Originating from Long Island, New York, in the 1970s, the drink was invented by a bartender called Robert Butts and named after its resemblance to iced tea. Beverly Hills Long Island Iced Tea is made with 250ml of vodka, 250ml of gin, 250ml of triple sec, 250ml of lemon juice, 250ml of sugar syrup and once stirred, is topped up with 500ml of champagne.

The Dark and Stormy
is a popular drink in Bermuda and Australia. Rumour has it that after Bermuda hosted rugby matches against Australia, the drink was brought back down under and has been popular ever since. The ingredients are 400ml of dark rum and 1.2 litres of ginger beer, topped up with some lime slices. To make a Light ‘N’ Stormy, replace the dark rum with light rum.

First produced in 1823, Pimm’s is a fruit cup or liquor drink. Pimm’s is a spirit-based liquor, flavoured with hints of spice and citrus. No.1 cup is based on gin, while there are other cups based on whisky, brandy rum or vodka. The Pimm’s we use in our summer cocktails is normally No.1 cup, which was named after the tankard it used to be served in. Make Pimm’s punch by mixing 500ml of Pimm’s, 1.5 litres of lemonade, a slice of orange, a slice of lemon, 2 slices of cucumber, strawberry slices and a few sprigs of fresh mint.

Made by a friend at a barbeque (credit to Meghan Brooks), this is one of the best summer cocktails I have had. This blueberry-rum cocktail is made by mixing 400 ml of rum, a handful of blended blueberries, 3 shots of grenadine, 2 shots of blueberry juice, 2 lime wedges, 2 lemon wedges and then topped up with lemonade and another handful of unblended blueberries.

A summer cocktail list is not complete without Sangria, which was named after the Spanish word for blood due to its dark red colour. To enjoy this Spanish delight, first mix and mash (using a wooden spoon): 125ml of Cointreau, chunks of one mango and one pineapple, 1 teaspoon of sliced ginger and 1 handful of fresh mint. Then mix in 750ml of any red wine and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.