York Spring Food Festival

For this weekend only, Parliament street will be flooded with a profusion of food stalls from Yorkshire and around the world

food festThis weekend will see the centre of York overrun by food stalls from Yorkshire, the UK and the world as a part of the York Spring Food Festival. The theme is ‘Food and Science’, and there will be local produce from around Yorkshire in abundance, from fresh meat and vegetables to locally made cheese and artisan bread.

There is also a demonstrations tent where homegrown chefs such as Steph Moon from the Great British Menu and Nick Evans, chef at Middlethorpe Hall, will be showing a few tricks of the trade, and raising money for York Children’s Hospital from their recipe book.

The food markets will be spread along Parliament Street throughout the weekend, where you will have the chance to try some tasty tidbits and buy an exotic lunch from one of the many hot and cold fresh food stalls. It certainly makes a change from sandwiches in the library, anyway.

food fest2For the alcohol-inclined among us, there is also a local Ale festival ongoing around the food festival, so take the chance to try some of what Yorkshire is famous for; their superb breweries.

Entrance to the food markets and chef demonstrations is free of charge, so take a break from revision, or if you’ve finished, escape from the breezeblock bubble that is campus, and lose yourself amongst a plethora of flavours for an afternoon.