350 student flats to be built at York Press offices

Photo credit: Pablo York

Photo credit: Pablo York

Plans to build 350 student flats on the site of the York Press offices have been announced.

The potential owners, Student Castle, intend to incorporate a reception, common room and management suite into the development.

S Harrison Developments, the York based development firm who is submitting the proposal, said it would bring a £35 million boost to the local economy, creating around 200 construction jobs over the next two years and 20 new permanent jobs upon completion.

The plans for the new site were put on show on Monday May 20 at the National Centre for Early Music in Walmgate. A design and development team were on hand to answer any questions.

Originally the offices were built in 1989 to accommodate state-of-the-art printing equipment, but a large area of the site has remained underused since printing production moved out of the city.

If the scheme is approved, the newspaper’s staff would move to modern, smaller offices fronting on to Walmgate and Hurst’s Yard.

Chris Hale, of S Harrison Developments, said: “The plans we are putting forward will see an underutilised brownfield site redeveloped to deliver much-needed student accommodation for the city’s growing student population.

“It will free up family homes in the city for use by York families, in line with the council’s policy. “This is not a speculative proposal.”

Jaqui Hawthorn, of Student Castle, said: “York is a fantastic place to study. We intend to enhance that experience if the planning committee approves our scheme to create new accommodation in Walmgate. For students, the location, within the city walls, gives access to everything that York has to offer.”

Councillor James Alexander said: “I welcome news of this potential development which would provide purpose built accommodation in keeping with the city’s students’ needs and be accessible to their place of learning and the city itself.”

“Students make an invaluable contribution to the cultural and economic vibrancy of the city and developments such as this also help to ensure family housing in York remains true to its original purpose.”

1. Because the one by the Shell Garage is BURSTING with life and students willing to pay £125/week to live in a ghost town…

2. We suspect that the plans are for accommodation including 350 BEDROOMS arranged into a somewhat smaller number of flats. As Anon implies, it would be a brave developer that decided to go ahead with that scheme given that there are existing plans already passed for 500 other bedrooms in York, half of which are currently being built and the occupants of The Boulevard might struggle to raise a football team.

3. 29 May ’13 at 8:11 am

Satisfied Customer

ooh somebody’s spotted a crack in their cabal….