The Naked Baker: Banana Bread

Banana bread with a twist, quick and easy and great for keeping up energy (and morale) levels during revision

So this is a very slight twist on a classic – banana bread is great for using up those mouldy bananas in the cupboard that you forgot you bought last week, or the squashed one that you ambitiously squeezed into your backpack and when you got it out for lunch was black and mushed to a pulp.

You can also add pretty much any random ingredients (within baking reason) that you want. I have added some mixed spice, walnuts and dried cranberries to mine, but you can go with chocolate chips, any kind of nuts (pecans are also good) a variety of spices like cinnamon or ginger, raisins…the list goes on.

What is important is not the additional ingredients, but the bananas. The mouldier, the better. Mine almost fell apart as I got them out of the cupboard. You wouldn’t think they’re edible, but they most definitely are.

Ingredientsbanana bread
100g butter
100g soft light brown sugar
1 egg
225g plain flour
1tsp mixed spice
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 bananas

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a loaf tin
2. Mix together butter and sugar until smooth and light in texture. Add beaten egg.
3. gradually add flour, spice and bicarb together, then peel and mash the bananas and incorporate them too.
4. Add any extra ingredients at this point and mix it together well.
5. Pour into loaf tin – you may find you need to do two lots – and bake 30-40 mins or until well risen. It will sink back again, but this is fine. Everyone likes mushy banana bread. That’s what it’s for.

Serve with a large cup of tea (it’s great when it’s still warm) and a dollop of gossip.

As stated in our disclaimer, Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.