Netball firsts impress despite Lancaster win

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 23-41 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Petroc Taylor

As the final fixture of Roses 2013, the pressure was on for York and Lancaster’s netball firsts clash to deliver high drama and sporting excellence, and – despite York losing to a team that possessed greater finesse and pace in the centre of the court – it absolutely delivered.

Both teams shot out of the blocks, with rapid passes seeing the ball travel end to end. Despite strong interceptions by Lancaster players, the ball was delivered to Amy Moye, who converted her chance with great composure to put York in the lead. However, a free pass was swiftly given to the opposition, levelling the score.

The first quarter continued to be a closely fought out battle, with outstandingly rapid play. Ferris, playing centre, was hugely influential, with her energetic style of play. More goals from Moye and Neblett saw York keep up with Lancaster.

Dalley-Smith, Daymond and Ferris pulled off a series of breathtakingly long, fast balls, to see possession regularly streaking down towards the York goal, but the Lancaster players were also insurmountable in possession, and their goal shooter was able to use her height to her advantage time and time again to get goals past the reaches of Pullman and Knight, and the quarter ended 9-6.

Lancaster were swift to build on their lead, with a succession of stunningly accurate passes. Despite Dixson and Ferris making some lightning-fast interceptions, Lancaster had fixated on the tactic of hurtling the ball down the court and to their unstoppable goal shooter, and York’s deficit escalated to 20-9. By this point the momentum was with Lancaster’s and the half finished 23-12 to the Red Rose.

Lancaster again took first blood in the next quarter, and moved swiftly on to 25-13, and they continued in this fashion – working as an extremely slick, drilled force to score another five goals, despite Moye and Loft working well together to secure York’s fifteenth and sixteenth points.

Dixson’s wonderfully accurate passes set up two more for York, and Pullman’s pressure in defence was notable with Lancaster only scoring five in this quarter.

The final quarter saw Lancaster move with supreme confidence to score five more, without the White Rose retaliating. The final score was 41-23, and a jubilant Lancaster flocked together to celebrate although smiles were also seen on the faces of the vanquished, who had utterly exhausted themselves, and done themselves proud against a more experienced and drilled team.

In other Roses netball, James lost 26-32 in the College A Winners game but the Halifax seconds were victorious in their College B Winners match as they won 37-12. York’s College Barbarians won 26-23 to cap a good day for college netball.

The university third team won 26-13 and the seconds also triumphed 30-22 in an overall good weekend for York netball.