York triumph in indoor women’s seconds

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3–2 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Petroc Taylor

A late penalty was not enough for Lancaster to rescue a draw as the women’s seconds team proved their credentials in a well-fought 3-2 victory in front of a rowdy crowd in the Sports Tent, adding another well-earned point to York’s Roses tally.

Despite the eventual result, it was the Red Rose that drew the first blood. Both teams started the game with an even share of possession, but Lancaster were creating the most chances and they broke the deadlock after just three minutes.

A clever one-two move between their striker and attacking midfielder freed up the striker to go one-on-one on goal, who sent a fierce left-footed shot into the top corner of the goal.

York tried to reciprocate similar movements up their own end of the pitch and five minutes Jess Foster came close. Regardless, the home side’s equaliser came only a minute later when Foster, once again, found space for a shot; the Lancaster ‘keeper was forced into a routine save but she spilled the ball into the path of Rohanna Nilsson, who slotted the ball into the empty net.

A few minutes before half-time, York completed their comeback when Maria Davies released Rachel Turner through the middle, who provided a cool finish.

In the second half, Pam Johnson was particularly impressive as she forced two fine saves from the Red Rose goalkeeper before she finally made the score 3-1. After bursting towards goal down the right channel, her first shot was off balance but she put things right on the second time of asking when the ball came back to her with a sound finish.

Two minutes later, Turner nearly killed the game off when another clever one-two move put her on goal, but her attempted lob was just over the bar.

With five minutes left on the clock, it looked like the ladies has locked down the win, but the visitors weren’t leaving bowing out of Roses without a fight. They were awarded a penalty late when a York tackle to was deemed to be too heavy by the referee, which was succinctly put into the bottom left corner and it was very nearly saved by Emma Pick.

Lancaster nearly equalised just before the final whistle, but their shot could only be fired straight into the midriff of Pick. The crowd’s sigh of relief were swiftly turned to cheers as the referee called for full time.

The women’s first indoor captain, Vicky Decamp, who had been running the show from the sidelines, told Nouse: “They were absolutely fantastic! We don’t play much indoors so it’s fantastic that they played so well”.

York: Pick (GK), Davies, Barrington, Turner, Hancock, Johnson, Nilsson, Foster

Player of the match: Jess Foster