Women’s football see off Lancaster to take Roses points

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3-1 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Agatha Torrance

A swashbuckling performance from the Women’s 1st XI Football team in front of a jovial crowd on 22 Acres saw them turn on the style to brush aside the Lancaster team 3-1, in a victory which meant that they continued their fine form, having previously been promoted in their BUCs League, and getting to the final of the BUCs North Conference.

The ladies were looking to inflict more pain on Lancaster, after beating them convincingly 5-2 in the Sports Tent the previous day.

The large crowd, would not have to wait long to celebrate a goal, as the home team found themselves in the lead within minutes of the match starting. A fumble on the edge of the Lancaster box allowed Ellie Whittaker to get a shot away at goal. The ball struck the crossbar, before taking a ricochet off the back of the hapless Lancastrian keeper’s head and trickling into the net.

Lancaster did well to immediately equalise however. The away side capitalised on a foul just past the halfway line, to deliver a deep ball into the York. A burly Lancaster centre back managed to get her head onto the ball, flicking a header with high into the York net to make it 1-1.

Though the game slowed down after this initial flurry, York clearly dominated the possession of the ball, and Lancaster struggled at times to get out of their own half of the pitch. Lancaster had to scramble the ball off the line, after Bea Rye slotted in a through ball to Maria Davies, from a Marte Wang free kick. The bloodlust of the crowd was palpable.

This was not the only chance to go further ahead. After the Lancaster goalkeeper parried a shot from Jess Craig, a chance went begging, as York put the ball over the bar of the painfully empty net. York had to settle for being level, going into the second half.

A couple of injuries to Lancastrians slowed the tempo of the game at the beginning of the second half, but the dangerous Sam “Sharker” Barker, created constant problems for Lancaster on the left wing. She came close after breaking from the halfway line, only to drag the shot wide.

Minutes later Barker was again causing problems. After beating a full back, she played the ball into the area, allowing Craig to slot the ball past the keeper at the far post, to make the score 2-1 to York, to the elation of the crowd. Clearly on a roll, Barker, moments later, lashed a shot from 25 yards onto the crossbar.

York were in rampant now, totally controlling the game. It was finally put to bed after midfield maestro played in substitute Jess Foster on the wing. Foster, cutting in from the wing, caused a tidy save, but the Lancaster goalkeeper could not keep out the rebound from Ellie Whittaker. The final was a thoroughly deserved 3-1, against a Lancaster team in the league above the ladies in BUCs.

A proud skipper Vicky Decamp told Nouse Sport “there are high hopes for next season” despite “losing some of the older players.” Keeper Meg Phillips was also heard complaining to her defence about how bored she had been throughout the match.