Indoor football firsts dominate to claim points

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 5–2 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Petroc Taylor

The indoor women’s firsts football team set the Sports Tent ablaze on Saturday afternoon when they comprehensively defeated their Lancastrian rivals in front of a lively crowd. York’s strength in depth was highlighted by each of the five goals being scored by different individual players.

York kick-started their dominant play almost immediately when an unmarked Marte Retzius received the ball from across the D, allowing her easily slot the ball home past the goalkeeper.

After Retzius and Ellie Whittaker were further denied by the Lancaster ‘keeper, York finally doubled their lead after eight minutes. Whittaker, this time the playmaker, rolled the ball perfectly along the edge of the D from a tight angle in the corner to allow Jess Craig to provide another easy finish.

Lancaster, however, were starting to shake of their early nerves in this fixture and they pulled a goal back almost immediately. Against the run of play, the Red Rose striker picked out the top corner with a superb effort.

Completely unfazed by conceding a goal, York regained their two-goal lead only a minute later. A loose ball bounced awkwardly on the edge of the D for the Lancaster goalkeeper and defender, but as neither of them reacted quickly enough in dealing with the ball, Whittaker took her chance to pounce first and knock the ball past the clueless Lancaster defence.

Occasionally, Lancaster’s nimble striker found ways around the resilient Decamp in the York defence, but each time her shots were athletically dealt with by the home side’s magnificent goalkeeper, Meg Phillips.

The visitors did find a second goal just before half time; they dispossessed York in midfield and their winger was allowed to pick out her unmarked teammate in front of goal, who fired a strike into the bottom right corner beyond the grasp of Phillips.

York were wary of the dangerous score-line at 3-2 as they entered the second half and they immediately set about increasing their lead. Two minutes in the half, York broke towards the Lancaster D and the referee deemed on of their defenders to have entered the area, awarding York a penalty.

Decamp stepped to take it, but it was well saved by the feet of the Lancaster goalkeeper. Regardless, Decamp acted quickest to the rebound and she made no mistake this time in making the score 4-2.

Shortly afterwards, Marte Wang finished up the day’s scoring when a clever pass-and-move routine with Retzius allowed Wang to beat a defender and pick her spot from the edge of the D.

Lancaster only tested York ‘keeper Phillips once more in the final ten minutes, whilst Retzius came close netting a second goal before the end; receiving the ball from across the D from Craig, her shot beat the keeper but it failed to beat the post.

Team captain, Vicky Descamp summed up a successful day for the women’s indoor football team at Roses: “I’m absolutely delighted, I couldn’t hace asked for anything more. Lancaster are in the league above us but we’ve just been promoted. I was so nervous about today!” In retrospect, she had no reason to be nervous!

York: Phillips, Decamp (C), Johnson, Whittaker, Craig, Roy, Wang, Retzius

Player of the match: Ellie Whittaker