York women’s basketballers crushed by Lancaster

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 24-71 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Petroc Taylor

Despite battling hard, York’s women basketballers were outclassed by a higher quality opponent in the Sports Hall. In every aspect of play, Lancaster bettered the White Rose. This, however, cannot be put to the players alone, as the Red Rose benefit from part time professional coaching. York’s society, in contrast, is entirely student run. It was a brave performance from York, with all players fighting for every ball until the last minute of the last quarter.

The first quarter saw Lancaster establish early dominance, playing a swift passing game that York were unable to handle. Midway through the quarter, they had built a massive lead of 19-7, with the Red No. 5 and 6 in particular showcasing some quality finishing. A shell-shocked York found themselves facing a huge task to find victory, with the quarter ending 27-10.

The second quarter did not signal anything of a York comeback, with sloppy mistakes slipping into Black and Gold play. In particular, accuracy of passing was lacking, whilst, conversely, Lancaster went from strength to strength building their lead further to 31-12. York did have opportunities, but they failed to make them pay, a combination of poor finishing and excellent zonal defending from Lancaster. The Red Rose were continually potent around the D, leading to York calling for a time out. Although, following this, the Black and Gold side carved out more opportunities, they still lacked in incisiveness. The half time score remained firmly in Lancaster’s favour, 34-18.

The third quarter saw more of a balance to proceedings than other quarters, but, considering the score margin, this was not enough for York. Lancaster sunk an excellent three pointer to stretch their lead, as well as showcasing some brilliant counter-attacking play to take their lead to 51-21. The mission now turned to damage limitation for the frustrated York side, who desperately attempted to stop further Lancaster domination.

The same patterns continued in the final quarter, an excellent Lancaster side pressurising a rapidly tiring York side. Lancaster’s counter-attacking play from their point guards was excellent, York struggled to deal with the pace coming from the middle of the court. The sound of the umpire signalling the end of the match put an end to what had become a non-contest, with the final score resting at 71-24.

Captain Janne Billiet was realistic in defeat, stating, “They were a very tough opponent, they pressed us the whole game. We stuck in and kept hustling until the end. I’m still really proud of my team.”

York: Williams, Laverick, Billiet (C), Stefanov, Bennett, Taylor, Cryer, Jago, Lio