York Eurovision Society

Photo credit: Algemene Vereniging Radio Omroep

The Eurovision Song Contest began 57 years ago. Though its reputation has been chequered recently, branded as overtly political and no longer about the music, in recent years the Contest has again returned to tradition and last year’s winning entry ‘Euphoria’ topped the charts across the continent, including a top 3 placing in the UK. There is nothing else like Eurovision in the world. It is the biggest non-sporting television program in the world, with average audiences of 100 million people across the globe. People write the contest off, perhaps because of the misleading view that we never win because of political voting and also that the quality and genre of music involved is the ultimate in guilty pleasure. In truth, the music can surprise you: In recent years lots of the songs from the Contests have gone on to be hits across the world, and even established stars are entering the contest – Cascada are representing Germany this year.

The York Eurovision Society is a new entrant to the society scene. It brings together people who have a shared love for the kitsch charm of Europe’s favourite television program. It offers discussion of hot favourites for this year’s contest in Malmö, but also a broader forum for discussing all time favourite Eurovision songs.