Women’s water polo in stunning Roses win

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 9-3 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Lily Grant

The women’s water polo side romped to a superb 9-3 Roses victory on Saturday night.

Player of the Tournament Louise Highton led the way with five goals as the White Rose continued their impressive ‘Super Saturday’ form.

After a positive start from Lancaster and a missed penalty from Gillian Jago, York went ahead through Kate Richards.

In a scrappy opening, York always looked the most dangerous going forward and deservedly doubled their lead through Highton before the end of the first quarter.

Hannah Carter scored a penalty at the start of the second quarter, and though Lancaster pulled one back soon after thanks to speculative long-range effort, York were about to up their game further.

With Lancaster’s coach sent off for persistently arguing with the referees, the White Rose were flying and scored three quickfire goals.

First Highton bagged her second after some patient build-up play, before Jago was given the freedom of the pool to fire a shot into the top corner.

Highton was proving irrepressible and sealed her hat-trick after a fast breakaway, prompting the visitors to ring the changes before the half-way mark.

They briefly looked like finding a way back into the game after a second goal slipped through the fingertips of York keeper Anne Churchfield, but Highton soon added another before York twice hit the bar.

Into the final quarter and it was apparent that everything was going York’s way. Jago and Highton were at it again, adding a goal more each to their tallies, while Lancaster toiled at both ends of the pool.

The Red Rose did manage a third goal before the end, but it was inconsequential, and the final whistle was greeted with scenes of pure joy from York’s players and fans alike.

York captain Sophie Gorman was in jubilant mood as she spoke to Nouse afterwards: “It was such a good match and I’m so proud of everyone. It was an incredible atmosphere, I really can’t believe it. We’ve lost every year since 2007 and I’m just so happy now!”

York: Churchfield, Highton, Richards, Gorman, Carter, Whitins, Jago, Wood, Jhons, Chidwick, Williams, Grafton, Hall.