Women’s Ultimate win for Lancaster

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 5-6 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Image: Lily Grant

Image: Lily Grant

York’s Ultimate Frisbee team has gone from strength to strength over the past few years, growing in size and rising in the rankings, now holding a confident 15th in the UK.

But it was in Leeds last year that Lancaster knocked the mixed team out of the running for the top eight seeding in their regional competition, and the women’s indoor team were all hoping Friday was to be a White Rose reckoning.

York knew they were up against a strong team, having lost 9-4 in their match for Lancaster’s Roses tournament last year.

Unperturbed, our girls dominated possession right from the start of this year’s women’s indoor match, conceding a point but equalising only two minutes later.

In the quick-fire 20-minute indoor matches, every second counts. But it took a good five more before Lancaster could break through York’s staunch defence again.

Once they had, another point for Lancaster swiftly followed, bringing the score to 3-1. Seconds later, yet another swift pass and deft catch from the Red Rose team increased their lead to three points.

It was at this point that the York women really showed their improvement on last year. Staring down a 4-1 score with more than half the match gone, the 2012 team might not have been able to recover. But a burst of energy and some impressive, focused play won them two more points, closing Lancaster’s lead.

From then on the match became a much closer battle, with another point for each side leaving a 5-4 score to Lancaster in the final two minutes.

It didn’t stop there though. In the final minute, a roar erupted from York’s benches as an equalising point was scored, forcing a sudden death playoff.

In the end it was close but no cigar for York, as Lancaster pushed through the York defence, skimmed the Frisbee across the width of the pitch and secured the winning catch in the White Rose’s zone.

The women’s indoor was a lost match for our girls, but by no means a failure. The strong team play and a significant improvement on last year definitely give our team something to be happy about.