Water polo men take points in Roses battle

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 8-4 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Lily Grant

The men’s water polo team capped off an excellent day for UYSWC, beating Lancaster 8-4 in their Saturday night showpiece clash.

The result meant York had claimed 14 from a possible 16 points on offer in the pool on what was a sensational day for the White Rose.

Amidst a tense and highly-charged atmosphere, the opening to the match was cagey, as Chris Snowden twice kept out Lancaster with some smart saves.

Towards the end of the quarter, though, York took the lead as Ramage collected a smart pass from captain Joe Marshall and rifled into the corner after a sharp turn.

York were now into their stride and put Lancaster to the sword at the start of a frantic second quarter.

Gabriel Cramer set up Matyas Molnar to score a second, before Marshall turned provider once again to feed Perkins, who thundered an effort in off the post for 3-0.

Filippo Cocozza was twice denied by some spectacular goalkeeping, while Snowden was looking unbeatable at the other end.

A perfectly arrowed effort into the corner did see Lancaster pull one back, but York responded in kind as Perkins grabbed his second.

Had York been at their clinical best then the match could have been as good as over before the break, but Cramer was denied a fifth goal just before the whistle, with his shot adjudged not to have crossed the line.

A Lancaster comeback looked briefly on the cards as they made it 4-2 at the start of the third quarter, much to the frustration of Snowden, but a swift spin and shot by Giulio Schinaia re-established York’s lead.

The Red Rose again scored soon after out of absolutely nothing, but Marshall took it upon himself to add the sixth with a thumping finish worthy of a fine display from the York captain.

There was controversy as Lancaster scored their fourth, with York furious that a foul wasn’t awarded, but after the home side missed a penalty they went into the final quarter knowing their work was far from done.

They were not to be beaten, though, as a bombardment of the Lancaster goal finally paid dividends through Perkins, who sent a classy effort into the top corner.

And when Cramer emphatically sent a penalty into the corner, York were finally secure in their victory.

They could have added more before the end, but 8-4 margin of victory was more than sufficient to take home the points. With the final whistle, the UYSWC contingent in attendance dived into the pool to celebrate with their teammates in some incredible scenes of joy that were indicative of the incredible team spirit on show by so many York teams over the weekend.

Afterwards, a delighted Marshall told Nouse, “Lancaster have given a lot of talk about how good they were going to be and how they would make us bleed, but it was great to beat them. It was a scrappy game and not really reflective of our performances throughout the year, but we were never in doubt that we would win.”

York: Snowden, Haywood, Perkins, Cramer, Marshall, Wen, Molnar, Cocozza, Ball, Woodward, Schinaia, Holmes, Ramage.