UYAFC outmuscled by gritty Lancaster

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0-1 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Agatha Torrance

UYAFC fell 1-0 to a physical Lancaster side on the final day of Roses as they failed to avenge last year’s defeat.

Despite a spirited performance, the firsts were unable to make their chances count in a game which failed to live up to its much anticipated pre-match build-up.

Man of the match Jonny Sim was the hero of the afternoon, keeping York in the game with multiple crucial saves as he put in a man of the match performance.

York looked dangerous early on as they put pressure on Lancaster’s defenders, with captain Tom Day putting a ball over the top of the Lancaster defence but Tom Clarke was unable to make it to the ball as the Red Rose cleared their lines.

Minutes later Alex Tringham had a great chance to put York into the lead but he hit the bar.

However, Lancaster began to press for a goal as they began to build momentum with their aggressive game-plan. Jonny Sim was made to work hard, making two crucial saves to keep York in the game.

But it was not long before Lancaster broke through as they scored with 20 minutes gone. Sim, however, made his best efforts as he saved three shots from within the box in quick succession before Lancaster finally broke through off the third rebound to drill the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.

By now the White Rose was being bullied off the ball, Lancaster’s physical midfielders controlling the possession and using the pace of the wingers to good effect.

Lancaster pressed for more chances, but Sim was on call again to make more crucial saves.

York rarely threatened as the Lancaster defence was too tough to break down in what turned into an uneventful finish to the first half.

The second half improved for York, as Day and Clarke saw more of the ball, whilst James Davies looked threatening down the right wing.

But Sim was made to work hard again, having to tip a ball over the cross bar to keep York in the game.

York made use of their subs, with Phil Taylor and Dan Atherton coming on for Olly Harrison and Joe Easter, and the fresh legs seemed to make a bit of a difference for York as their possession stats improved, but they were unable to make a significant impact on the game.

Soon Sim was forced to make yet another save, this time confirming his legendary status with an incredible save one-on-one with the Lancaster forward.

Going into the final quarter, Day tried to rouse his men and the Black and Gold seemed to respond, upping their game with more intensity on the Lancaster defence.

But by this stage it was too little too late, as the final whistle blew in what was a disappointing loss for UYAFC after such a brilliant year.

Captain Day was clearly despondent, and he spoke with Nouse after the match. “It was a tight game. Credit to Jonny Sim for keeping us in the game, he made some great one-one-one saves. We did have chances, but Lancaster were very good. It’s a shame, for some of us this is one of our last games of the season and we wanted to bow out of Roses with a win. I’m sorry we couldn’t do that today.”

York team: Sim, Jones, Belshaw, Brandreth, Tringham, Davies, Easter (Taylor), Kimber, Harrison (Atherton), Day, Clarke.