The Recipe: Hot Chilli Chicken Wings

Ingredients
12 chicken wings
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
¼ cup finely minced fresh chillies (optional)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
Chilli sauce/Tabasco (as much as you feel happy with)

Cut the wings at the two joints and discard the wing tips. They add very little to anything and generally just get in the way. If you want to, you can keep them and use in a chicken stock.

Mix all the remaining ingredients for the marinade. Put wings in a flat container and cover with marinade. Turn wings to coat all surfaces.
Cover container and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 2 hours. This allows the flavours to soak into the chicken, and also tenderises the meat.

Line a baking pan with baking paper. Drain marinade off the wings, reserving the marinade, and place in one layer in the pan. Bake at 200°C for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and drain off liquid.

Brush wings with reserved marinade or, for more intense heat, brush with full-strength chilli sauce. Not Dr Burnorium’s sauce though. No one wants to lick the sun.

Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until crisp. Serve immediately, with potatoes and greens, and a side of yoghurt or maybe cream cheese for those with a less fortified palate. Prepare for chilli symptoms by having tissues within reach.

Tip: you can also add creme fraiche into the wings while cooking to cool the sauce slightly should you have been over-enthusiastic with your chillies.