Men’s football thirds in disappointing defeat

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0-1 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Petroc Taylor

The men’s thirds could count themselves a touch unlucky to lose 3-0 to Lancaster on an occasion where superior finishing and luck counted towards the Red Rose victory. Despite being quietly confident before the game, it was the men in blue who came out on top.

Kick off was delayed by 15 minutes as the referee did not appear, and this seemed to affect York, who were sloppy from the off, conceding a free kick with not 30 seconds on the clock. The delivery was poor, but a horrendously unlucky bobble saw the ball bounce up and hit goalkeeper Kris Cheshire in the head and creep agonisingly over the line.

Lancaster settled quicker than York, who were having problems adjusting to a pitch that had more bobbles than a teenager’s face. They did manage to force a sustained spell of pressure though, with the long throw of Hamish Denham causing problems, with Alex d’Albertanson shooting wide.

Cheshire then made up for his earlier error, leaping like a cat to tip over from a deflected shot. From the resulting corner, Ben Smith surged up field, only to shoot wide.

The best chance of the first half though came to Denham, played through by a lovely ball from Dave Lewis, who beautifully dinked his shot over the ‘keeper, only for it to float agonisingly wide.

The second half was much the same as the first. Lancaster were quicker out of the blocks, forcing Cheshire into another superb save from a free kick, then a more comfortable one from a tame shot from the edge of the area.

This half was much more open than the first, and whilst York huffed and puffed, they simply could not find that killer ball in the final third.

This proved to be the key, as Lancaster soon doubled their lead. A cross from the right found the left back who took his time and smashed a wonderful half-volley that left Cheshire stranded.

York didn’t look like getting back into the game until Smith received a flick on, surged into the box and shot narrowly wide. This seemed to reinvigorate York and the best chance of the half went to substitute Elliot Ragan who found himself through but shot straight at the Lancaster keeper. Gutteridge then went close but also shot wide.

The missed chances then came back to bite York, as Lancaster finished the game off with a beautiful free kick from 25 yards which left Cheshire clawing at thin air.

It was this clinical and quality finishing that separated the two teams on the day. York though, will be disappointed with defeat after a promising season.